Sync calendar crashes

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MindToAsk

Sync calendar crashes

Post by MindToAsk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 am

Hi,

I'm using multiple synced calendars on a local sql server. After adding some events VueMinder gets sluggish then suddenly crashes. After a crash I loose some of the latest events added. If I do a forced sync (Sync Now from the menu) I get back the lost events. I tried everything. Reinstalling windows on both client and server machines, reinstalling VueMinder client and server.

This happens on v 2020.08 and the latest 2021.01 with the server version from the guide. Btw, the latest version improved on the event opening time, but unfortunately after some events added (say 20) it gets slower, then eventually crashes.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sync calendar crashes

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 am

Hi MindToAsk, I'm not sure why you're seeing this problem. Since the problem returned after reinstalling, I suspect there might be something in the database (possible corrupted data) which is causing the problem.

Please try these steps:
  1. Open the Calendar Properties of each calendar and check the “Do not sync” box. Also open the Sharing Options and clear out the hostname, username, and password.
  2. Click the “Sharing -> Options” menu command on each VueMinder installation and make a note of the username. You’ll need to recreate these user accounts when reinstalling MySQL Server.
  3. If you have old data that is no longer needed, performance could be improved by archiving the old data. You can do this by using the "File -> Archive Old Data" menu command.
  4. Export each calendar to an iCalendar (ics) file, using the "File -> Export -> Export Events" menu command.
  5. Exit VueMinder on all computers by using the "File -> Exit" menu command.
  6. Download and run the file linked below on each computer to reset the local data:
    https://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip
  7. Uninstall MySQL Server. You can use the Control Panel to uninstall.
  8. Delete the “C:\ProgramData\MySQL” folder. If you get a notification saying the folder can’t be deleted because it’s in use, reboot and try again. Also make sure the “C:\Program Files\MySQL” folder is no longer present. It should have been deleted when you uninstalled MySQL Server.
  9. Re-install MySQL Server. Instructions can be found on the page linked below. Make sure to create the same user accounts that were noted in step 2, and make a note of the root password.
    https://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
  10. Open the Sharing Options and enter the name of the computer where MySQL Server was installed. Also enter your MySQL username and password. Repeat on your other computers.
  11. Import the iCalendar (ics) files that were previously exported.
  12. Open the Calendar Properties of each calendar on your computer and re-enable sharing by checking the “Share with VueMinder on other computers” box.
  13. Click OK. The calendar should be added to the new MySQL Server instance, and should then appear on your other computers. It might take a minute or two for the calendar to appear on the other computers, but syncing should be much faster afterwards, and this should fix the stability issues you're seeing.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MindToAsk

Post by MindToAsk » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:25 am

Hi.

I've been trying everything. I finally installed a new server following all the steps in the tutorial. I installed vueMinder on 2 computers and started a new database. I didn't import the old calendars. I had the same problems though, VueMinder getting sluggish after some events added, events disappear, or double up after a manual resync. Please see the attached screen shots. Both are taken after a full manual resync. On one of the clients some events appear doubled with the creation date unknown. Anything else I could try?

Thank you.
Attachments
c2.png
c2.png (296.03 KiB) Viewed 407 times
c1.png
c1.png (201.11 KiB) Viewed 407 times

MindToAsk

Post by MindToAsk » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:18 am

I don't know what else to try. Something broke in the syncing process over the last 2 VueMinder versions which leaves me with one last solution: use local copies of VueMinder with a decentralized database, which defeat the purpose I purchased VueMinder for.

I'm hoping for an update that will fix this :(

MindToAsk

Post by MindToAsk » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:26 am

Anyone else can confirm this? Am I the only one with this error? Events are disappearing after a while, and only some reappear after a manually sync. This is very frustrating and is causing us a lot of issues with appointments overlapping. Is there another way to sync? or to force a full sync more often?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:57 pm

This should be fixed in the next release (2020.01).
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA