Empty Categories Don't Filter

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
GJS

Empty Categories Don't Filter

Post by GJS » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:07 pm

I am having a problem with filtering by category. Most of my events and tasks were imported from Thunderbird Calendar, and the vast majority have no category assigned. However, when I filter for a category (e.g. Appointment), VueMinder shows events with that category AND events with no category. I can look at the Events list and scroll through the 451 items to find the two with something in the Category column, but that doesn't seem ideal.

Is this a known problem? Is there a way that I missed for filtering out empty categories?

Versions:
  • VueMinder Pro 2021.01
  • Windows 10 Home 20H2, 64-bit on Dell XPS 8900, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB
  • Windows 10 Home 2004, 64-bit on ASUS Transformer Mini, 1.44 GHz, 4 GB

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Empty Categories Don't Filter

Post by VueSoft » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 pm

Hi GJS, welcome to the forums. There's no mechanism to filter out events that have no category on the Day, Week, and Month views. However, on the Events tab, you can click the filter button on the "Category" column and uncheck "(Blanks)". Does that help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GJS

Post by GJS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi Dan --

Thanks for the info -- it does help. I had not noticed the filter icons before; somehow I thought they were sort indicators. Looks like I need new glasses. :geek:

I would suggest adding a similar "(Blanks)" choice to the main category selection list.

I was surprised that selecting "Appointments" in filter menu did not show all the events having that category. Instead it showed the events having only the "Appointments" category, which is equivalent to a Text Filter for Equals "Appointment". I had expected a result equivalent to Text Filter Contains "Appointment". Of course I could construct that, but it requires typing in the category name and is less convenient than just checking a box. I would find it more intuitive if the default filter operator were Contains. Perhaps you could add a view Settings option for Default Filter Operator.

The other option would be to check all the boxes for multiple categories, e.g. "Appointments, Medical". That would require finding them manually in the list, which seems error prone.

I thought that saving a custom filter might help, but the only Filter option I see in the view's Settings menu is "Reset Filter". Is saving filters no longer a feature?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi GJS, thank you for feedback. I'll consider your suggestions for a future release. Unfortunately, there's no longer an option for saving filters. That feature had a few issues and was removed because it wasn't used by most people, and spending the time fixing the issues didn't seem worth it. I'll consider restoring and fixing that feature if there's enough interest.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GJS

Post by GJS » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi Dan --

Thanks for the update. I don't think I would use Saving Filters for anything other than what I described. Something like a view Settings option for Default Filter Operator (Contains/Equals/...) would be my preference. For now I can use the existing Text Filter without too much trouble. But my wife will never remember how to do it. :)