Autodelete completed event

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
renehoss

Autodelete completed event

Post by renehoss » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:54 am

Could there be an option to autodelete a completed event after a certain amount of time after completion?

This option should then be set for each event (or series of events) and not in general.
For there may be some completed events you would like to keep on the calendar and others
you wish to be deleted after a few hours or a day or so after the event has been completed.

Would be a nice new option I think.
Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Autodelete completed event

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi renehoss, thank you for the suggestion. I'll consider this for a future release.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

DL6024

Post by DL6024 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:37 pm

I realize this is an older thread, but I have long had a few questions about this very subject.

I have numerous recurring events set up. I never take time to manually delete completed event records generated by these recurring events. I have at least eight years worth of these completed events that I have no need for. My desktop pc's are not what I would call up-to-date (read:slow). Is there a reduction in Vueminder performance in any way by having all of these completed event records left in place?

While an autodelete feature is a great suggestion in my opinion, if there is no performance cost of leaving everything in place it may not be worth the work to implement it as a feature.

If there is a performance issue, is there a way to manually delete mass numbers of these globally? Or... should I just not be concerned and leave them all in place?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:32 am

Having a large number of recurring events can cause the performance to degrade, but there's no benefit to deleting individual occurrences versus just leaving them. The performance issue is more related to the number of recurring series, especially recurring series that have no ending date and can continue for centuries.

There is a feature for archiving old events, which could help improve performance. Any recurring series that has an ending date before the specified cutoff will be archived, but this won't archive recurring event series that never end. You can read more about this feature here:
https://www.vueminder.com/products/vuem ... ddata.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

DL6024

Post by DL6024 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks for explaining.