Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets and VueMinder

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Abhi

Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets and VueMinder

Post by Abhi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:11 pm

I was expecting that many users would be having this issue so I searched, but surprisingly couldn't find any relevant thread.

Ok, so the problem is that Windows 7 gadgets that have been pinned on Desktop come on top once the VueMinder window is brought into focus. They remain on top of every active window then.

I disabled the gadgets for some time, but I couldn't do without the weather gadget for long so pinned it back today and it again came above the VueMinder window (and all other windows thereafter...)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets and VueMinder

Post by VueSoft » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Abhi, thanks for the feedback. It appears there's sometimes a conflict between VueMinder's desktop calendar and the Windows 7 gadgets. Each tries to be the lowest level window (in z-order). It appears the desktop calendar is occasionally "winning" because the gadget loses its z-order and gets moved to the top.

I'll see if there's something I can do to fix this. In the meantime, if you disable the desktop calendar (by unchecking the "Desktop Calendar" option on the VueMinder task tray icon's right-click menu) you shouldn't see the problem anymore.

Also, you could add your local weather forecast to VueMinder. See the "How to Add Local Weather" section in the page linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... endar.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Abhi

Post by Abhi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks. I had already disabled the desktop calendar. What I meant was the "main" VueMinder window. Bringing the main window to focus brings the gadgets on top of it and then on top of every program window that is brought in focus.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:32 am

Sorry, I'm not seeing this behavior.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Abhi

Post by Abhi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Is that so? :? Try this to reproduce the bug:

Have a gadget pinned on the desktop. Being on desktop or with some other program window in focus, launch Vueminder. Now click the "Go to desktop" area on the right corner of the taskbar. Once on desktop, click the icon of ViewMinder (or any other open program) on the taskbar. The gadget should now be on top of that program-window.

tacchan23

Post by tacchan23 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:34 am

Yes, I could reproduce the bug too.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:38 am

It appears this only happens after the "Show Desktop" button on the taskbar is used. Previously, I was simply activating the main VueMinder window, as described in a previous post, and I wasn't seeing the behavior.

I'll post a reply when a correction is available. In the meantime, you could use the "Show Desktop Calendar" hotkey command in VueMinder to work around the problem. This hotkey can be specified via the "Hotkeys" command on the Options menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Abhi

Post by Abhi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks. Anyway I'll be switching to Windows 8 this week, most probably. Win 8 - no gadgets - no bug. :)