No SQL & No Support

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
kkosborne

No SQL & No Support

Post by kkosborne » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 am

I can't get a successful installation of SQL 2008 to get sharing going, and I have not received a reply to my request for support. I purchased this program so I could share it over my home network, relying on that promise of 24x7 priority support for Pro and above customers. Not happy. I've uninstalled SQL completely, reinstalled it from the manual download, done all the things in the troubleshooting guide, opened all the ports in the firewall, and on and on. SQL can't start the browser - no Vuesoft database instance. I'm posting this here because Vuesoft said they monitor these forums. I need a response to my help request.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: No SQL & No Support

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi kkosborne, welcome to the forums. I apologize I didn't receive your previous email. I was having problems with my email server, but that has been fixed now. If you’re curious, the VueMinder website was moved to a new host last week but I forgot to update the “Contact Us” form on the website to point to the new server. Your email probably went to my old email server. I’m very sorry for the problem.

Since you manually install SQL Server, did you name the server instance “VUESOFT” instead of using the default instance name of “SQLEXPRESS”? Also, did you try running the VueMinder Server setup again, after doing the manual SQL Server installation? There are some database tables that need to be installed, and that is only accomplished by running VueMinder Server Setup. Assuming the instance was named VUESOFT and the firewalls allow access, VueMinder Server Setup should find the server and install the required database.

If the problem is that you’re not seeing the server name in the drop-down list in the Sharing Options, this could be because the SQL Server Browser service either isn’t installed or isn’t running. Instead of selecting the server name from the drop-down list, you can type it in. The only thing SQL Server Browser is used for is searching the network to see if there are any compatible servers installed. Manually entering the server name will force VueMinder to use that server, regardless of whether it could be found through SQL Server Browser.

If that still doesn’t solve the problem, could you provide more detail about what specifically you’re seeing? For example, is VueMinder Server failing to find the server when attempting to install the database? Are you getting a “Server is offline” message on the status bar in VueMinder? Any additional information you can provide will help me narrow down where the problem might be.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA