VueMinder ProUSB

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
GreatLakes

VueMinder ProUSB

Post by GreatLakes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Dan,

I have the Pro version on desktop and ProUSB version. I tried using ProUSB at our library but it wouldn't work. The technical person said the they have a policy of blocking all executables. Am I out of luck and also out of luck on other computer systems that block executables?

This would obviously cut down on the utility of the USB version, you can never tell ahead of time if you are blocked.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder ProUSB

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:48 am

Hi GreatLakes, VueMinder Pro USB is an executable. It sounds like your library has their computers locked down tight.

One workaround would be to sync VueMinder with Google Calendar, so you could access your schedule via a web browser if the computer is too locked down to do anything else. Hopefully the library doesn't also have a policy of not allowing a web browser to be opened.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GreatLakes

Post by GreatLakes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks Dan,

I will try the Google calendars sync approach and see if this works. I can always use web browsers at library. I assume that I will have use of all VueMinder functions including contacts, is that right?

With ProUSB, can information be transferred back and forth if either USB and local computer are not exactly on the same version?

Thanks again for your quick support.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi GreatLakes, Google Calendar will show the same events you have in VueMinder, but it won't include any of VueMinder's advanced features. In other words, no formatted descriptions, no categorizing or prioritizing events, no linking items, no showing occurrence numbers, no event list, no tabbed searching, very limited color choices, etc, etc.

Also, there's no support for contacts, although you could access your contacts using Google Mail (after exporting the contacts from VueMinder and importing them into Google Mail).

I recommend keeping the USB version and local computer on the same version of VueMinder if you'll be transferring data back and forth. As long as the versions aren't too different, it should work without any problem, but you're less likely to run into problems if you keep both versions up to date.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GreatLakes

Re: VueMinder ProUSB, syncing with Google Calendar

Post by GreatLakes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks Dan,

That clarifies some of the differences between Google Calendar and Vueminder.