VM Server won't load on my Windows 8

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
grover

VM Server won't load on my Windows 8

Post by grover » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Having installed VueMinder Ultimate on Dell All-in-One (Windows 8) and on Toshiba laptop (XP Home edition) in my home office, I tried to download the Viewminder Server. It is in my download list but clicking it to only results in a few seconds of "hourglass", then nothing. The Dell is a 64 bit processor, so I elected the "64" download. What's wrong?
John W

grover

Re: VM Server won't load on my Windows 8

Post by grover » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Sorry, false alarm, after a re-boot I was able to go through the VM Server download and installation.
Now that it's done I have the calendar sync-ed, by hitting F9.
But... how do I get all the contacts from the laptop (probably over 150 names I imported from a CSV file to the laptop) over to the Dell?
Did I misunderstand? Does the contact list NOT get sync-ed along with the calendar??
That is now where I need some specific help. I've tried the F5 and the Ctrl F5. No sharing of contacts.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi John, if you have the Ultimate version installed on both computers, contact sharing should happen automatically.

Please open the Sharing options (via the Options menu) and ensure the box labeled "Share contact data" has a check mark on both computers. Also make sure the server name has been entered and that both computers are pointing to the same server name. Once you do that, contacts should sync.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

grover

Post by grover » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks, everything seems to be working now.
However, new questions...
1- What is the "distribution list" doing for me? It is set now at "auto hide" and I don't know how to turn it off, nor do I know if it's useful to me.
2- I imported some info to contacts that is not a field in the "contacts" window. For example, I have Soc. Security # for many contacts. Soc. Sec. appears as a column in the contacts page, but there are no S.S. numbers there for any contact. .. only some 3 digit numbers such as 311.00 or 289.00. What's going on?
There is NO Soc.Sec. field in my contact, only the original default fields, name, phones, address, etc.
Is there a way to reconstruct the "contact" page to include other fields, such as S.Sec. #, and possibly other data??

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 pm

1- What is the "distribution list" doing for me? It is set now at "auto hide" and I don't know how to turn it off, nor do I know if it's useful to me.
Distribution lists are used for sending email or SMS reminders to a multiple contacts that are members of a distribution list. Distribution lists can also be used for meeting requests. There's a "Distribution Lists" area on the Contacts tab that shows any distribution lists that have been defined. You can auto-hide this area of the window, but there's no mechanism to completely remove it. Please see the link below for more information about distribution lists and how they are used:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... lists.html
2- I imported some info to contacts that is not a field in the "contacts" window.
Did you import from a CSV file or Excel? Maybe the numbers were misinterpreted by the importer as being decimal numbers instead of text values. I just tested importing from Excel with social security numbers formatted as "XXX-XX-XXXX" and the full values imported properly into VueMinder, so I'm not sure what caused the difference you're seeing.
Is there a way to reconstruct the "contact" page to include other fields, such as S.Sec. #, and possibly other data??
Click the "Custom" tab in the Contact Editor to access your additional fields.
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... ustom_Data

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

grover

Post by grover » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks Dan, the distribution list is going to be very helpful.
Some quirks are disturbing though. I've lost a few contacts without knowing how they just disappeared.
I've been editing the contact lists. After double clicking a name, I must be doing something with the keyboard without realizing it. My own name just disappeared while I was working on the Custom tab. A couple other names are gone, names I expected to add to a distribution list.
I'll have to "add" a new contact to replace them. UNLess... could there be a recovery button somewhere to retrieve deleted items??? That would be a big help.
Any idea what I did wrong?

grover

Post by grover » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Another quirk you may have a comment for...
I added "Soc Sec" using the Contact Custom tab, and that worked OK, showing up as a column on the list of contacts, just to the right of the "Notes" column.
But a "Middle Name" never appeared as a column on the listed contacts, so I finally just deleted that field from the Custom tab.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:05 am

Hi John, I'm not sure what caused the contact to disappear. I've never seen that happen before. Did you accidentally press Ctrl+D? If a contact is accidentally deleted, you should be able to use the "Undo" command on the Edit menu to recover the contact.

Regarding the "Middle Name" column not appearing, right-click the column header and click the "Middle Initial/Name" option. This isn't a custom field. It's something that's already built into VueMinder.

If you have custom fields that aren't appearing as columns in the Contact list, right-click the column header and then expand "Custom" on the popup menu. You should see a lit of your custom fields. Use the check marks to pick which custom field columns should be visible. If you have many columns displayed, there will be a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the list, which you can click to see the rest of the columns.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

grover

Post by grover » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am

Again thanks for the tips, Dan. I have the columns now that I need.
But again I LOST a contact, Wayne Williams, while I was clicking on the headers etc. to get what you were telling me about columns. It was only clicking, nothing like a Ctrl D. Maybe I clicked somehow on a delete, but cannot see how it happened. "Undo" didn't help by the time I noticed the contact had disappeared. Feeling like a klutz, but not 'getting' it. :|

I do have one suggestion for the next update. Could you arrange that the first letter of a word going into a Contact field be automatically a Capital Letter. That would help a lot in the names, streets, and the like. And when I enter Soc. Sec. numbers I had to make it a "text" field. The number field option gives a decimal point, certainly helpful for many number entries. But could you add 3 more options ... 1. USA Telephone, where the Dashes (or parentheses) would go in automatically, and
2. Soc. Security, where the dashes would go in the right places, i.e. after the first 3 digits, and after the next 2 digits, and
3. in the "state" field, make the entry "caps only", regardless whether the caps or non caps are typed. I bet every user would appreciate those time savers. :idea: