New Guy Qs / Feedback / (Gripes?)

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
jmar

New Guy Qs / Feedback / (Gripes?)

Post by jmar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 pm

The Ultimate program is beautiful, would love to use it all the time but there appear to be a few (for me) crippling omissions. Then again, I'm still finding my way around, so perhaps I've missed something?

Is there a PROJECT level above the task and subtask level, where information other than the tasks themselves can be entered--and to which photos can be assigned? (So I can quickly scan images to find a project, rather than squinting at text.) Actually, a PROJECT LEVEL and an another level above that would be ideal, so projects can be assigned to life areas. I want to set up a project, CAPTURE thoughts on tasks, then EASILY drag/drop those lines to create tasks.

Failing that, is it possible to drag and drop tasks or text from other apps into the calendar or tasks, perhaps creating a new task simply by dragging and dropping?

Is it possible to mass-assign categories and other properties to selected tasks?

Basically, I'm looking for an all-in-one solution. Evernote has many advantages, but no calendar, some glaring omissions (can;t drag-and-drop a note to copy it!?! How basic is that?). If VM could sync with or drag-and-drop from EN, my search might be over. Achieve Planner more or less does a good bit of what VM does but is not half as cool or easy on the eyes. Vitally important, though, it has a PROJECT level--so do I want cool or do I want functionality? As Tony Stark might say--is it too much to ask for both? Also looking at XMind.

Bottom line, I'm not going to enter my task-level data multiple times in different programs, just not going to happen; I'll use pen and paper first--which, btw, is actually faster than individually selecting multiple options for every task and subtask (hence one of my Qs above). I'm also not going to make everything Excel-compliant, because I have no other reason to use that program, so doing that just to import data into VM is a timesuck. Ditto Google Calendar etc. I'm looking for a comprehensive standalone--as, I'm sure, are many others.

VM could be that--but (again as far as I can see right now) doesn't go quite far enough. And so the search continues.

Have I missed something here, and if not, are there any plans afoot to address the above issues?

Might sound like a bunch of gripes there, but if I didn't think VM could be what no other program is--I wouldn't be in here griping. It's like seeing a kid who could win the gold--if only he adjusted his training routine...

:)

Thanks for any help!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: New Guy Qs / Feedback / (Gripes?)

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 am

Hi jmar, welcome to the forums and thank you for the feedback.
Is there a PROJECT level above the task and subtask level, where information other than the tasks themselves can be entered--and to which photos can be assigned?
There's nothing like that in VueMinder, although you could define a top-level "task" and treat it like a "project". You could also hijack the notes feature in VueMinder - creating notes for the things you consider to be projects and then linking tasks to those notes via the "Links" tab in the Note editor.

I think as you explore the current features provided by VueMinder, you'll find there's a lot of flexibility in how you can use the software. In any case, I appreciate the feedback and will consider adding the concept of projects into VueMinder.
Failing that, is it possible to drag and drop tasks or text from other apps into the calendar or tasks, perhaps creating a new task simply by dragging and dropping?
Unfortunately, drag-and-drop is limited to importing files and attaching files to existing events, tasks, or notes. I've added your suggestion to my to-do list.
Is it possible to mass-assign categories and other properties to selected tasks?
Actually, yes. In the Task list, you can select multiple rows (similar to selecting multiple rows in Excel). Right-click one of the selected rows to get a context menu, where the category, priority, or calendar of all the selected tasks can be modified in one operation.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA