Right Alt + Z clearing text problem in event description

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
h2x00re

Right Alt + Z clearing text problem in event description

Post by h2x00re » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 am

Hello,
I've got a little problem with creating events.
Whenever I try to use right alt + z (I'm polish and in my keyboard layout, using this combination it's supposed to put "ż" character) in description tab in new event window, all text I've written is cleared out (It only does not work in formatted text option, in plain text it seems to be ok though).

Just a little bug, I've spotted :)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Right Alt + Z clearing text problem in event description

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi h2x00re, welcome to the forums. It appears that when using a Polish keyboard layout, the right Alt key is being interpreted by the Windows OS as a Ctrl key. When combined with Z, that's an Undo command. When the editor is opened for an item that already has a description, VueMinder is setting the description to the text editor component (which is developed by a 3rd party). The text editor component will place the initial value on an undo stack. I haven't found a way to keep that from happening.

So basically, when you press the right Alt key with Z and you're using a Polish keyboard layout, the text editor component interprets that as an undo command and dutifully undoes the only thing on the undo stack, which was the initial value. This causes all the text to be cleared.

I understand why it's happening, but I haven't been able to find a way to override this behavior. The text editor component is sort of a black box that plugs into VueMinder, but is limited in what VueMinder can override. I'll post a reply if I'm able to find a solution.

In the meantime, a possible workaround (although somewhat painful), would be to type the description in Notepad and then copy/paste that into VueMinder.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA