Automation?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
mdfox78

Automation?

Post by mdfox78 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:23 pm

My IT department has deemed VueMinder to not be "business critical" therefore I have to get pretty creative to work around our corporate firewall. The best scheme I have come up with so far is to toggle between nic cards so that i can use our guest connection to sync. Of course I cant actually do any work as a "guest" so I toggle back. I have figured out how to script the network toggling so now I need to automate the VueMinder sync for Google calendars/tasks. In this way I can schedule periodic automatic syncs through the guest account with negligible interruption to my work connectivity.

Does VueMinder have any automation features? If not, can some level of automation be added in future releases? Any other suggestions?

Thank you
Mike

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Automation?

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi Mike, VueMinder doesn't provide an automation API. However, you could create a local (non-synced) calendar with a daily recurring event having a "Run a program action". Enter the executable that you run to toggle nic cards, along with any required parameters. VueMinder will run this action everyday at the event's starting time. You could then define another event (a minute or two later) for toggling the nic card back to the previous setting. Does that help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mdfox78

Post by mdfox78 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi Dan,

I appreciate the quick response however I don't see how your suggestion solves the problem. Running my nic-toggle script on a predetermined interval is the easy part. The issue is triggering a sync at that time and that time only. I could set vueminder to sync on short intervals and the toggling interval slightly longer but then vueminder would be constantly complaining about not being able to sync when I am in the work connectivity mode (which will be 99% of the time). It would seem that I need to set vuminder up for manual triggering and then periodically trigger a sync during nic toggling.

Perhaps there is a way to set vueminder to sync automatically and passively - to ignore not being able to sync when it doesnt have access?

Thanks
Mike

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue May 21, 2013 11:36 pm

VueMinder doesn't provide an automation API. There's no mechanism to do what you request in the current version of VueMinder. I'll see if I can improve syncing with Google Calendar to better handle online/offline detection.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

mdfox78

Post by mdfox78 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Dan,
I would greatly appreciate some sort of accommodation for my dilemma in a future release. I am sure that I am not the only one who has a work/firewall issue. I really like the calendar, so much so that I spent a $100 for the lifetime usb pro version. As such, I am hopping for a timely resolution. Please keep me posted.

Thank You.
Mike

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:45 am

Version 11.0 should solve the problem you're seeing. When a connection is available, it will sync. Otherwise, it will quietly wait until a connection is available. Online/offline operation should be seamless now.

Version 11.0 is currently in beta testing. If you'd like an early look, you can download the beta here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... f=5&t=1263
Dan Chartrand, Founder