Somehow Google syncing got confused

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
mbernhardt

Somehow Google syncing got confused

Post by mbernhardt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm using Ultimate USB. Somehow the syncing has gotten screwed up between Vueminder and Google calendar. Not sure how it happened but Vueminder now claims that it is set up to sync to a calendar that I had previously deleted from the configuration, and NOT to the one that actually has the data it needs to sync with. This could be because yesterday I was messing with 2 computers at the same time and did not fully quit on the first before setting up the 2nd.

I have changed the preferences so that it does not minimize to the tray on exit. Hopefully this carries to any computer on which I use Vueminder (i.e. all preferences are stored on the cloud drive)?

But it asked me this morning to set up again, yet it's no longer synced. Only one of the 2 computers from yesterday is even turned on today, and it appeared to be syncing properly at the end of yesterday.

If I want to use it on a new computer, is Vueminder supposed to ask me, again, for a key to sync with Google Calendar? Shouldn't it already be set up to do that? It seems like certain events cause it
to get unsynced again, even on the one computer?
Last edited by mbernhardt on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mbernhardt

Re: Somehow Google syncing got confused

Post by mbernhardt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:49 pm

OK, I purged all old events from my Vueminder calendar and then synced with Google. But now Google has 2 calendars called "calendar", one native and one created in Vueminder. Vueminder now also has 2 calendars- "calendar" and "calendar(2)"

So how do I get them to merge somehow? I just want one.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi mbernhardt, I believe the problems you encountered were due to running the same copy of VueMinder USB simultaneously from multiple computers.

To clean up the calendars, please follow these steps:

1. Export one of the calendars from VueMinder to an ICS file, using the "Export Events" command on the File menu.

2. Delete the exported calendar from VueMinder.

3. Delete the corresponding calendar from the Google Calendar web page. You can do this from the "Settings" link when clicking the drop-down arrow next to "My calendars". If you don't see a link named "delete", try the one named "unsubscribe".

4. On the Google Calendar webpage, click the drop-down arrow next to "Other calendars". Select "Import calendar".

5. Choose the file exported in step 1. Make sure the "Calendar" field is set to the calendar that the events should be added to.

6. Click the Import button.

7. When VueMinder syncs, you should see the events from other previously deleted calendar are now in the single calendar.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mbernhardt

Post by mbernhardt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:18 am

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Will the categories and custom fields that I set for those events be retained when they go to .ics, to google, and then back to Vueminder?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, importing the ICS file into Google Calendar will cause the custom values to be lost.

To preserve the custom data, you could approach this from a different direction...
1. After exporting the ICS file, import it back into VueMinder and select the calendar you plan to keep as the destination calendar.
2. Delete the other calendar from VueMinder.
3. Wait for the calendar to sync back to Google Calendar.
4. On the Google Calendar webpage, delete the same calendar that was removed from VueMinder.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

mbernhardt

Post by mbernhardt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Given that there are not really that many events upcoming, I decided to just deleted both calendars in Vueminder and set up sync again. Now events sync properly and I can clean them up. However, here the issues I still see:
1. When I first redid sync, it only worked when I went to the File/Add Google Calendar option. Setting it up under Share/Google Calendar sync doesn't do anything.
2. Although #1 did work, I also noticed that a 2nd calendar still shows up under File/Add Google Calendar even though it doesn't exist anywhere else. How do I delete the 2nd one?
3. Although sync is set up as 2-way, when I make changes to certain, but not all, events in Vueminder such as changing a color or removing a reminder, once it syncs to Google the old color and/or the reminder sometimes come back. They seem to be prioritizing the Google config for that event over the Vueminder update. The only way to fix it is to go to Google and change it there.

I have some other issues that are more bug-like so I'll open a new post for those.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi mbernhardt, regarding #2, the "Add Google Calendar" window will list whatever calendars are defined in your Google account. If you don't see the calendar on the Google Calendar webpage, try reloading the page. You should see it in the list of calendars on the left side of the webpage. You can delete the calendar from your Google account via the calendar settings page.

Regarding #3, this has been fixed for the next version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

mbernhardt

Post by mbernhardt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 am

It may have somehow gotten tied to my personal Google account when I was trying to set things up initially. Is there some way to clear that out?