Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ca_guest@hotmail.com
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by ca_guest@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 pm

After I updated VueMinder I am no longer able to sync my Google calendars. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the .net framework and still have the same problem (though the error keeps changing). Attached is the latest error message.
Attachments
error message
error message
error.png (9.24 KiB) Viewed 6234 times

ca_guest@hotmail.com
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by ca_guest@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

I also tried uninstalling and re-installing VueMinder. The same error comes up.

ca_guest@hotmail.com
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by ca_guest@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:08 pm

I attempted re-installing the .Net framework and Vueminder again, now I get the following error box (see attached).
Attachments
error2.png
error2.png (8.08 KiB) Viewed 6221 times

ca_guest@hotmail.com
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by ca_guest@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:08 pm

VueMinder loads the Google permission page, but after I select "accept" I am directed to any number of different pages: localhost:1116/authorize...., localhost:1140/authorize... It seem that as long as I keep the browser open each time a request to add a google calendar a new error message is loaded after I accept the request on the permission page.

User avatar
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand
Posts: 3863
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:20 pm

It appears you're using Windows XP. Have you installed the latest Windows updates? Specifically, update KB2468871 is needed. It can be downloaded here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2468871

Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ca_guest@hotmail.com
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by ca_guest@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 pm

I have uninstalled the .NET framework and allowed windows to search for updates thus downloading the .Net framework security updates. I'm not familiar with the link you just posted because I've been allowing windows to do that. Attached is the version I installed today through Windows updates. Is it the version you linked to?
Attachments
framework.png
framework.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 6209 times

User avatar
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand
Posts: 3863
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:58 pm

It's an update to the existing .NET Framework 4.0 installation. Here's the direct link to the download page:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=3556

Please try installing this update and let me know if that doesn't fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ca_guest@hotmail.com
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars after version 11.0.0 update

Post by ca_guest@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Dan,
Sorry for the extra stress this post has added to your life. I tried to install the .Net Framework update and it worked. Earlier when I tried to install the three files from the link you provided they wouldn't install. I assumed they were simply the wrong version for Windows XP or there was some other similar issue. I missed the fact that it was an "add-on" update instead of a "version" update. When I tried installing the files earlier I attempted the install without a pre-existing version of the framework. I believe that was my error. I loaded the same files that I attempted to load earlier today and this time they worked (this time I had the latest version of the framework installed). The program syncs to Google with no problem. Again, sorry for the extra concern, but thank you for the clarification.

Post Reply