Missing events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dbutcher

Re: Missing events

Post by dbutcher » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi Dan,
some more info.
The XP machine running 11.0.3 trial is displaying all 9 events.

I had to reboot my computer (unrelated issue). When VueMinder started after the reboot, it still showed only 8 events. However, when I manually synced the calendar, all 9 events appeared.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:56 am

Hi Dave, when I subscribe to the file all 14 events appear in VueMinder.

Please make sure all your computers are synced with the same internet time server via the Clock properties in Windows. It's possible VueMinder is unable to get an accurate time if you're behind a proxy or your firewall is blocking VueMinder. Keeping your clocks synced with an internet time server might fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dbutcher

Post by dbutcher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Dan,
Thanks for looking into this.
VueMinder options are set to use a proxy server, using IE proxy settings. At the bottom of the page "test proxy settings" completes successfully.
Both computers running VueMinder are part of our work domain. I think this means that we are automatically syncing to the domain controller. I can confirm that both computers are reading the identical time.

Right now, there are no missing events (ie: since my last re-boot yesterday). I'll monitor this throughout the day and report back if any problems.

Regards,
Dave

dbutcher

Post by dbutcher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Unfortunately, the problem is still there.
One computer (Win7) is correctly showing 8 events for Line1.ics The other computer (XP, trial version) is showing only 7 when reading the same ICS file.
Computer times are completely in sync.

I don't think it's the ICS file, but a problem in how VueMinder subscribes or updates its subscriptions.

Is there anything I can test or report to help troubleshoot this?

Regards,
Dave

dbutcher

Post by dbutcher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Dan,
remember that issue we had with the last deleted event not disappearing? I wonder if today's problem could be related.

I'm not sure how to ask this properly, but what "memory" does VueMinder keep of a subscribed calendar. If/when the details of the events within the calendar change, is VueMinder perhaps missing the updates because of some cached info?

Regards,
Dave

dbutcher

Post by dbutcher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Dan,
sorry to bombard you with updates.

I have a ICS file with 5 events. All 5 events were showing up this morning, and also when I checked again at noon. Now only 3 events are showing in VueMinder on the Win7 machine, the XP machine shows all 5.

The data of the 5 events has not changed throughout the day. The only change has been to the datestamp of the ICS file, the contents are unchanged.

Any clues?
Dave

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:00 am

Hi Dave, can you clarify how you have this set up? Are you publishing the ICS file from Thunderbird? How often does it get published?

Is VueMinder configured to only subscribe (not publish) to the ICS file? How many computers are subscribing to the file?

Also, what do you have selected for the "Update" value in VueMinder's subscription settings? Is it set to "Automatically"? Have you tried a different option, like "Every 15 minutes"? Does that provide any different results? The "Automatically" option will monitor the file date/time and the instant it changes, VueMinder will update the subscription.

It's a wild guess, but maybe Thunderbird is still in the process of writing the file when VueMinder sees the file has been updated and refreshes the subscription. If Thunderbird hasn't written out all the events, that might explain why they are sometimes missing. Please try one of the other update frequencies and let me know if things seem more stable after doing that.

I'll also try to replicate your setup on my network so I can (hopefully) duplicate the problem and find a solution.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dbutcher

Post by dbutcher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 am

Good morning Dan.
I appreciate your continued efforts on this.
Our system:
ICS files are generated for each production line. (You have seen several examples of the output already.) These files are generated by a Perl script that reads our order file (Excel spreadsheet) and outputs events for every unfilled order. The script runs every 10 minutes on the 2's (2,12,22,32,42,52).
There are 2 computers running VueMinder and subscribing to the ICS files. The subscriptions are set to update every 15 minutes (not automatically). VueMinder is set to subscribe only, not publish.
In addition, we can also subscribe to the ICS files using Thunderbird/Lightning. I do this only when I'm trying to troubleshoot VueMinder, as there is no TimeLine view which is what we're really looking for. Thunderbird is also set to subscribe but not publish (read only).
I hope I've explained this clearly. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Just thinking about your suggestion. Let's say that the Perl script running at hh:12 takes does not finish before hh:15 and VueMinder updates to an incomplete file. That could explain the missing events.
However, shouldn't that self-correct 15 minutes later?

What I'm seeing is that once an event goes missing, it never reappears on any subsequent update. New events in the ICS file will show in VueMinder, but an ignored event stays ignored. That is why I asked about cache and VueMinder's "memory".
The only way to restore the event is to shut down VueMinder, reboot the computer and start again.

Regards,
Dave

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:06 am

Hi Dave, I was able to duplicate the behavior after editing the ICS file to temporarily give one of the events a duplicate ID of another event. This results in the event being removed because VueMinder sees 2 events with the same ID and gets confused. After fixing the ID to be unique again, the event won't return until VueMinder is restarted due to a caching issue.

There might be something going on with the Perl script resulting in events sometimes not having unique IDs, at least temporarily and long enough to through VueMinder off. The IDs are specified in the "UID" fields of the ICS file for each VEVENT. I see values like "Production-Row:12001", which looks like it's ending with a sequential number or something that could easily become non-unique.

I've fixed the caching problem for the next version. There's a pretty good chance this will fix the issue you're seeing without needing to make any changes to the Perl script. The next version should be available next week. I can provide you with a beta if you'd like it sooner.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dbutcher

Post by dbutcher » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Dan,
thanks for this very helpful feedback.
The UID is set in the Perl script to be the row number of the Excel sheet that contains the data, one record per row, which (we assumed) should provide a unique number. But if a row is inserted or deleted in Excel, then it is possible to have a row number "reassigned" to a different record, which would create the scenario you discovered.
Sigh. Sorry for wasting your time.