Syncing with my laptop stopped

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dr_hersh

Syncing with my laptop stopped

Post by dr_hersh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Can't figure out why. I just realized it had ceased, but I don't know when. It's been fine for so long that I don't remember how I even set it up or how to repair it. Help, please and thanks.

David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Syncing with my laptop stopped

Post by VueSoft » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 am

Hi David, it would help to know what you are syncing with (Google Calendar, Outlook, VueMinder Server, Exchange Server, ICS files, etc). Without knowing more detail, it's difficult for me to give you instructions on how to fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:11 am

Hi Dan,

I think I'm using the VM server. I want to get my desktop VM synced with my laptop VM, as it was but ain't now.

David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 am

Hi David, thank you for the information. Do you see a "Server is offline" message on the status bar? If so, the page linked below provides some troubleshooting information:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php#troubleshooting

If you're still unable to get it to work, you could switch to using the (much simpler) publish + subscribe approach. All that is required is a shared folder somewhere on your network that all computers can read and write. Configure a calendar on one computer to be published as an ICS file on the network. This can be done via the "Publish" tab in the Calendar Properties window. Make sure to click the "Publish Now" button to generate the initial ICS file. Next, go to the Subscribe tab and subscribe to the ICS file that was just published, so sharing will be bi-directional.

On your other computer(s), use the "Add Calendar Subscription" command on the File menu. Select the ICS file that was published from your other computer. Copy this path and paste it into the Publish tab. Repeat for any other computers on your network that need to share the calendar. Any changes made on one computer will be automatically reflected on the other computers (within a couple seconds).

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm

I reinstalled the server. Here is the final message.
server.jpg
server.jpg (259.96 KiB) Viewed 4940 times

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:55 pm

I've now tried your other suggestions, but with no success. I believe I am following your instructions accurately.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 am

Setting up calendars to be published/subscribed should work. I'm not sure what issues you're running into.

Regarding the error message you're seeing with the VueMinder Server setup, make sure VueMinder is fully exited on all computers prior to running the setup. If that doesn't fix it, use the Control Panel to uninstall everything that starts with "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2" and then run the VueMinder Server setup again.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:46 am

I'd like to try the subscribing again, but how do I first unsubscribe on both computers and start over again. If I can get it to work, it does seem simpler.

I've also deleted the SQL stuff.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:20 pm

To remove a calendar subscription, right-click on the calendar's name and select "Delete Calendar" from the popup menu. To re-add the subscription, click the "Add Calendar Subscription" command on the File menu and select the ICS file that contains your calendar (assuming you've previous published or exported the calendar). I'm not sure why you'd need to delete and re-add the subscription, but I'll just assume you have a reason for asking how to do this.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Dan, I don't know what I"m doing wrong. I think I have followed the instructions to set up the shared ICS, but nothing happens.