Daylight saving issue syncing with Google

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Mcjjjunior

Daylight saving issue syncing with Google

Post by Mcjjjunior » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi, I'm in the UK, my computer is set to GMT London and my Google calendar is set to GMT London however, when I sync a recurring event, Google interprets the original entry with daylight saving, therefore, if for example I start a weekly recurring event in February for 11am, when we get to the end of March in Google calendar, the entry has moved to 12pm even though it is still showing in VueMinder at 11am. If I start a weekly recurring event in April at 11am, in November it will show up in Google as 10am. In other words, Google appears to be adjusting the daylight saving aspect of the original entry by moving the time an hour forward or an hour backward once it reaches the points where the clocks either go forward or backwards even though VueMinder keeps the original time in all the recurring entries. Is this a sync problem with VueMinder not providing Google with the right daylight saving details, or is this a sync problem with Google? It's not a location problem as I'm in the same location, it must therefore be something to do with daylight saving. If you could please help, thanks a lot.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Daylight saving issue syncing with Google

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 am

Hi Mcjjjunior, are you using the latest version (11.0.3) of VueMinder? To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the File menu. As far as I'm aware, this behavior should not be seen (for newly added events) when using the latest version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Mcjjjunior

Post by Mcjjjunior » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi Dan, yes it's the latest version of VueMinder Pro USB; I'll email you screen shots of the settings and entries etc at support@vueminder.com so hopefully it may help to find out what is wrong. Many thanks :)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:31 pm

This problem has been fixed in version 11.0.4. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.

Note, this update won't fix events that previously synced with incorrect times. Those will need to have their time zone modified on the Google Calendar web page. However, the correction should prevent this problem for any new events you create in VueMinder.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

IanS

Re: Daylight saving issue syncing with Google with v11.0.4

Post by IanS » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:51 am

Dan,

Like the original poster, I am in the UK with my PC and Google Calendar set to GMT London. Using Vueminder v11.0.4 I have just created a single event for the 2nd April (here in the UK we go forward to BST or GMT +1 on the last Sunday in March, which this year is the 30th) for 14:45 and although it displays the correct start time in Vueminder, both Google Calendar and my Android phone show it as 15:45.

I then set up a test event on the 29th March, this displays the correct start time in Google Calendar. A further test event on the 30th (after the change to BST) has the start time an hour later than it should be.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi Ian, thank you for the feedback. Please follow these steps:
1. On the Google Calendar tab, click the drop-down arrow next to “My calendars”.
2. Select “Settings”.
3. Click the “General” tab at the top of the page.
4. Change the time zone to “(GMT+00:00) London”. I’m guessing it’s currently set to GMT with no daylight saving.
5. Click the Save button.
6. Create a new test event in VueMinder. After the calendar syncs, the test event times should be correct in Google Calendar.

To test this, I set my time zone in Windows and both places in Google Calendar to GMT+00:00 London. Before my corrections, I was seeing events created in VueMinder were off by an hour after the DST date when displayed in Google Calendar. After the corrections, the times are correct. You should see the same thing as long as the time zone is set to GMT+00:00 London in Google's "General" calendar settings as well as the individual calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 am

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply.

However, that setting was already set to (GMT+0) London. :(

Sorry about this, but one thing that I should have pointed out though - I had already created one event in April about three weeks ago which was not an hour off, and some other events for May/June (created in January) which again were correct. In fact, I think that this issue has surfaced only since the last update (it might have been OK with V11.0.2).

EDIT:
Just found v10.1.9 (I had been testing the 10.2 betas but cannot find them now), restored and put in two test events, one on 28th March before the clock change, and one on 10th April. Both display the correct start times in Google Calendar.

Downloaded 11.0.1 Beta 3 from the link in the thread in this forum, and that too does not display the issue.

If you can give me links to 11.0.2 and 11.0.3 I'd be happy to test them.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:18 am

Hi Ian, I've found what is causing the problem. It will be corrected in the next release.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks Dan, good work, and great support as always.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 am

Version 11.0.5 has been released. The DST problem for the GMT+00 timezone should be fixed in this version. Note, the correction will only affect newly created events, not events created prior to version 11.0.5.

To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder