Unable to get Network version working

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
10outof10 Ltd

Unable to get Network version working

Post by 10outof10 Ltd » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Purchased Ultra Pro in January and when it was first installed - it took a little while to get the 4 PCs talking to the server. And it was GREAT! For some reason the Server sync stopped working and support suggested a work around using Google Calendar - This worked but not ideal as the time on Google always was in conflict withe desk top version. For example when an entry was input to Vueminder for way 4pm on Tuesday - Google woudl change this to 11pm Monday the previous day. This was never resolved. The Vue minder tasks had stopped working when the server sync stopp functioning. There is no work around for this via google. Support were invited to long in remotely to our server and some changes were made - Server sync still not work. We gave up using the software and reverted to a 1990s programme which does work over the nextwork.

Paul

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Unable to get Network version working

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi Paul, I’m currently updating the next version of VueMinder to completely drop the dependency on Microsoft SQL Server – based mostly on your feedback. I’m also redesigning how calendar sharing works to make it much faster and more reliable. The new design uses MySQL Server, which is much simpler to setup and works without all the finicky firewall and service settings required by the much more complex Microsoft SQL Server.

Regarding the Google Calendar time differences, maybe the time zone defined in Google Calendar is different than on your local computers. That's the only explanation I can think of for why you'd consistently see different times in Google Calendar.

I’m working night and day to finish the next version as soon as possible. I’ll let you know when it’s completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

10outof10 Ltd

Post by 10outof10 Ltd » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply - I hope you appreciate how frustrating the few weeks have been.

Are you saying the database file can sit on a server and the 4 workstations can simply share and access this date without the need for complex additional programmes and software?

Paul

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm

MySQL Server would still need to be installed on one of computers (or your server), but it's MUCH easier to configure than Microsoft SQL Server. You could also use an existing MySQL installation. If you have a website, chances are you already have a MySQL Server installation that could be used by the next version of VueMinder. A new database will be added to the server and existing databases will not be affected.

If you want something even simpler that doesn't require anything to be installed, and don't want to wait for the next version, you could use the “publish + subscribe” approach. All that is required is a shared folder that your computers can read and write. Configure a calendar on one computer to be published as an ICS file on the network. This can be done via the "Publish" tab in the Calendar Properties window. Make sure to click the "Publish Now" button to generate the initial ICS file. Next, go to the Subscribe tab and subscribe to the ICS file that was just published, so sharing will be bi-directional.

On your other computers, use the "Add Calendar Subscription" command on the File menu. Select the ICS file that was published from your other computer. Copy this path and paste it into the Publish tab. Repeat for any other computers on your network that need to share the calendar. Any changes made on one computer will be automatically reflected on the other computers (within a couple seconds).
Dan Chartrand, Founder

10outof10 Ltd

Post by 10outof10 Ltd » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:00 am

We cannot use the current version at the moment and have gone back to an old program and we lost our current data file when the program did an update.

I'd like to wait for the new version which I hope means we can do as you say above. Open each user on their own PC, subcribe to a network folder and it works :o)

When do you think this will be available?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:11 pm

The new version should be ready by the end of April. A pre-release beta will be made available if you'd like an earlier look. Also to clarify, you can already use the publish+subscribe approach (described above) in the current version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

10outof10 Ltd

Post by 10outof10 Ltd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:19 am

Dan - we cannot! This is why we have not been able to use the software since early February the PCs cannot connect to the server. You have logged on to our server and say all is well there but still noe one PC can connect so no sharing or subcribing is possible.

Any other suggestions - or do we throw the towel in completely now.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:02 am

Please clarify. Are you saying your computers can't connect to VueMinder Server (which is what I thought the problem was) - or are you saying your computers can't even connect to your local area network at all? In other words, are you computers able to see shared folders on your network?

If you can access shared folders over your network, then you can configure calendars to be published and subscribed to the shared folders and use this mechanism to sync data between computers. This approach completely bypasses VueMinder Server. Please re-read what I wrote above on how to configure calendars to be published and subscribed in a shared folder on your network. Again - this does not require VueMinder Server. If you see a "Server is offline" message on the Status Bar it won't matter for publishing and subscribing to a shared folder.

Please let me know if this is still unclear and I will try to think of other ways to explain it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:07 am

10outof10 Ltd wrote:...For some reason the Server sync stopped working...
This has been my experience, too. The calendar is not syncing properly over the network. Deleted events get replicated by other computers (mostly those running WinXP while mine runs Win7) and come back to haunt us; new events are shared inconsistently.

Yesterday, I rebooted my computer several times, tried syncing several times, tried cleaning up the shared database several times (which results also are inconsistent), disconnected from/reconnected to the local network several times, unchecked the sharing option a time or two--and still my calendar looks different from other users' calendars. (I am the owner and my computer also is the VueMinder Server.) "Deleting" the calendar from other computers, then reconnecting via the "add shared calendar from local network" sometimes helps, but never solves the problem. Very, very frustrating.

I look forward to the April upgrade!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi Jam, you'll find calendar sharing in the next version is a massive improvement over the current version. I've completely redesigned how sharing works, drawing on lessons learned from the current design and using a new technique that enables flawless and instantaneous syncing between computers.

The syncing will be blazing fast, even when dealing with calendars that have thousands of events. For example, as you reschedule an event by dragging it to a different date, you can watch the event immediately move on other computers as it's being dragged. Syncing under the new design will happen in real-time, taking only a few milliseconds.

The duplicate events, inconsistent calendars, and other odd syncing issues in the current version are mostly related to how changes are "time-stamped". If computer clocks are slightly off, strange things can start happening. The new design does away with the use of time-stamps for syncing data.

I still have some more testing to do, but so far the new design is working extremely well. I'll let you know when a pre-release beta is available, in case you'd like to get an early look. The official release should be completed by the end of April.
Dan Chartrand, Founder