Renaming of contact fields and calendars does not sync

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
IngeJones

Renaming of contact fields and calendars does not sync

Post by IngeJones » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:34 am

Now I am guessing there may be nothing you can do about this, if contact fields and calendars are *only* known by their names. But I thought it might be worth mentioning just in case there is some other unique ID they have which does not get renamed as a text edit.

Calendar naming I can live with doing in both places, but it would be lovely if there was a quick way to one-way resync all gmail contacts (so they match the online versions exactly), to save me having to delete them all from vueminder and re-fetch them every time I delete or rename a field online. An are-you-sure-? would help avoid accidents. I guess if I wanted to be really safe I could export what I have locally first.

NB to save myself confusion, and because of the safety limitations vueminder has in place when syncing, I do all primary editing of my calendars and contacts on Google itself, online, using vueminder mainly for its enhanced views of the data.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Renaming of contact fields and calendars does not sync

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi IngeJones, unfortunately the Google Contacts API doesn't currently expose any unique (non-editable) ID for custom fields. The only method VueMinder has for identifying a custom field is the field name. If the custom field name is changed, its ID also changes, so VueMinder thinks the field is new instead of renamed.

I'm hoping Google will improve the API to provide some type of non-changing ID for custom fields, which would allow VueMinder to know when a custom field name has been changed as opposed to a new custom field being created. I'm monitoring updates to the API and will post a reply if Google makes this possible.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

IngeJones

Post by IngeJones » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:17 am

In the meantime, is there any chance of adding a feature for a destructive full one-way sync (choice of directions would be nice, but especially Google -> VueMinder), with appropriate warning popup suggesting export backup first? Sometimes I just want to make sure I have the same hymn book to sing from both ends, and currently I can only do that by deleting everything locally and starting over.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi IngeJones, thank you for the suggestion. I've added this to my to-do list and will let you know when it's completed. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA