Reminders Keep Reoccurring Even Though Dismissed

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
nkII061846

Reminders Keep Reoccurring Even Though Dismissed

Post by nkII061846 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:23 pm

I have a long list of reminders that I can't dismiss. They come up every few minutes. I click the "Dismiss All" button. They then disappear and come back a few minutes later. I have also tried to dismiss them individually and the result is the same. I have also tried to "Snooze All" to see if I could then later dismiss them later. However, this doesn't work either. In addition, I have restored earlier backup copies of the calendar without a resolution of the problem irrespective of how far back I go into the backup files. Any suggestions?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Reminders Keep Reoccurring Even Though Dismissed

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Are you using the latest version (11.0.5)? You can update by clicking the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu. It's possible updating will fix the problem.

If you're already using 11.0.5, then I'm not sure what is causing this behavior. Try deleting or cutting/pasting the events that exhibit the problem. Maybe that will force the reminder status to properly save.

I'll run some more tests on my end to see if I can find what might be causing this behavior.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

nkII061846

Post by nkII061846 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 am

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am using v 11.0.5. It isn't one reminder that cannot be "Dismissed" it is at least 25+ reminders go back as far as several weeks. However, I did find a way to resolve the issue. On the "popup" screen I set all of the reminders to "2 minutes" and when they came back up I "dismissed" all of them. So far this seems to have worked as the time elapsed has been nearly 15 minutes. I have shut down VueMinder and restarted it to see if the issue would again arise, but it hasn't.

I use VueMinder on 3 computers (1 desktop and 2 laptops). When I am going to switch computers I create a backup copy on a flash drive and then restore the backup to the computer I'm going to be using. The issue seems to arise from restoring the backup when I'm switching computers.

JAM

Post by JAM » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Here are a couple of long shots that may help (and one tried-and-true option), but certainly shouldn't harm if they don't work.

1) Do this in the VueMinder program on each of the computers/devices: Go to Options, choose Sharing..., then click on the "Cleanup Database" button. You might have to do this every time you restore a backup. Hopefully, this will keep the problem to a minimum.

2) Again, on each computer/device, in the VueMinder program, in Options, then Reminders.... Check-Mark "Don't show reminders for completed items" as well as "Don't show reminders for events that occur in the past."

3) If the reminders are for events checked as "recurring," ditch the "recurring" option and make each event a new event (copy and paste works well), with its own reminder. This is the voice of experience.

Every once in awhile I do have weird reminders show up out of the past, but I have been using the "cleanup database" button religiously for awhile, on every computer I personally have access to, and that seems to help keep trouble down.

Hopefully, the upgrade due to come out at the end of the month will resolve this problem.

nkII061846

Post by nkII061846 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Thank you for the recommendations Jam. I will certainly follow them. Your experience leads me to believe that the "database cleanup" seems to be the best option and I will try it first. If I can find my way back to this "subject" I will post the results. Again, many thanks!!!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Just an update on progress made so far - I've nearly finished the database sharing improvements. I think a public beta will be ready within the next week or two.

One of the improvements will be more reliable syncing of reminder snooze/dismiss status between computers. For example, if you dismiss or snooze a reminder on one computer and look at the same calendar on a different computer, the reminder will also be dismissed or snoozed there - as long as you are using the same login account. If you log in with a different account, VueMinder will (correctly) think you're a different user and show you the reminder even if it was dismissed on another computer. Jam's suggestion #2 should enable you to work around this behavior.

Also, the improved database sharing design will no longer have a "Database Cleanup" button, since that button will no longer be necessary. Furthermore, the backup/restore approach you're currently using for transferring data between computers will not be necessary because data will reliably sync through the shared database.

In the meantime, if Jam's suggestions don't solve the problem, please make sure you use the same login account name on each computer.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA