Vueminder Pro not syncing with new Google calendar

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
bravotango

Vueminder Pro not syncing with new Google calendar

Post by bravotango » Sat May 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Hello, hope you can help. Most of the problems I see here are Google calendars not syncing to Vueminder but my problem is the other way, in other words I am trying to let Vueminder send all events to an empty Google calendar. Vueminder connects to google, gets permission in browser, the list of available calendars appear, I press Sync Now, it says "syncing...you should see your GCal in a few seconds". And that's all - the calendars in Google stay empty, no sync.

I followed all the sauggestions and deleted the folder in Users/AppData/Roaming/Vueminder etc.

Something to do with the problem is that I have two google accounts on this computer, one for myself and one for my spouse. Vueminder used to sync both ways with my spouse's calendar but now I want it to only sync with my google calendar.

I had to open my spouses GCal and delete the Vueminder calendar there as it was still persisting to use that account even though it was deleted in Vueminder.

I cannot find any permissions in either GCal relating to Vueminder in the settings.

The other odd thing that is happening when I reboot Vueminder is that there is a message right down the bottom of the screen stating "BT's Calendar 15 events Synced with Google Calendar 10/05/2014 12:22:33 PM" That was yesterday.

So the sync on the new GCal is not updating.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Vueminder Pro not syncing with new Google calendar

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi bravotango, welcome to the forums. If you're using Windows 7 or earlier, please make sure you have all the latest Windows updates. Specifically, update KB2468871 is needed. This is an update to the existing .NET Framework 4.0 installation. Syncing won’t work properly unless this update is installed. The update can be downloaded here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2468871

Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

bravotango

Post by bravotango » Sun May 11, 2014 12:03 am

Hello and thanks for such a quick reply. I can't see that update anywhere so I followed the link and tried to install but got an error 'KB2468871v2 does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your computer.'

This computer is 64 bit so it should be OK. I see I have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 installed on 27/04/2014 so maybe that is up to date.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun May 11, 2014 12:36 am

Hi bravotango, it sounds like your Windows installation is already up to date. Please try the following steps instead:

1. In VueMinder, right-click the name of the calendar that isn’t syncing properly and select “Delete Calendar” from the popup menu.

2. Exit VueMinder by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit".

3. Delete the folder named "C:\Users\YourLoginName\AppData\Roaming\VueMinder.Google.Auth". Note, this folder is hidden. I assume you know how to make hidden folders visible in Windows Explorer. If not, please let me know and I’ll provide additional instructions.

4. Open the Google Account Permissions page. Revoke access for VueMinder.

5. On the Google Calendar webpage, click the settings button in the upper-right corner. Select "Labs".

6. Click "Disable" for all Labs items. Some lab items have been known to cause intermittent syncing problems in the past. Click the Save button after disabling any lab items.

7. Restart VueMinder.

8. Click the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu. You should be prompted to allow access.

9. Hopefully syncing will work properly after re-adding the calendar.

Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bravotango

Post by bravotango » Sun May 11, 2014 4:27 am

Yes I carried out all those steps several times. I also found another google auth file in the C:\Users\BT\AppData\Local\VueSoft\VueMinder folder and deleted that too but it made no difference.

I also deselected all the other holiday and season calendars I had there to reduce the data.
I only have 46 events. Don't think this matters but on the original GCal I hijacked all the events and converted them to my Vueminder calendar before deleting it.

Can't think of anything else at the moment apart from exporting all my events to excel, deleting everything and starting a fresh calendar.

bravotango

Post by bravotango » Sun May 11, 2014 5:02 am

Apologies Dan. My mistake I think.
When I hijack those events and give them to the GCal they all suddenly appear.
But how come those desktop events did appear in the old GCal account?
Also The Vueminder calendar was also listed in the old account.

:oops:

Ah it is true the desktop events do sync with GCal. I fixed it by exporting my calendar, then deleting everything and started with a new empty calendar after reboot and just put one event in to test it and it finally synced. Now every time I add a new event it happily syncs.
Only odd thing is that the wording may be incorrect in the help file. As soon as I click on 'Add Google Calendar' the form does not pop up. The first thing that happens is that the Google web site requests the permission. After that the form pops up in Vueminder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun May 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Only odd thing is that the wording may be incorrect in the help file. As soon as I click on 'Add Google Calendar' the form does not pop up. The first thing that happens is that the Google web site requests the permission. After that the form pops up in Vueminder
I'm glad you were able to get it working again. Regarding the help documentation, it is a bit out-of-date. The permission acceptance process was streamlined to not require a separate window where an access code needs to be pasted. I'm planning to update the help documentation - probably after the next major release where VueMinder will be getting a more modern face-lift and most the screenshots in the documentation will need to be updated.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

steve@dunik.com

Post by steve@dunik.com » Thu May 15, 2014 7:44 pm

I am having the same problem in not being able to get any of my events sync'd to Google Calendar. I followed steps 1-9 above and still unable to get any data to appear in Google Calendar. Also the update for KB2468871v2 does not apply in my case either. I am running a legal version of 11.1.1. BTW, I was unable to use my main email address to register - it said already in use, but when I tried to get my password it says that I am not a registered user. Is that because it checks the license file as well? Weird.

What else can I try?

Steve

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi Steve, maybe your firewall is blocking VueMinder from uploading data to Google Calendar. Have you tried adding an exception for VueMinder, or temporarily disabling your firewall, to see if that makes any difference?

I'm not sure if it will fix the problem, but there's a new version of the Google Calendar API. I'm planning to update the next version of VueMinder to use the latest API.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

steve@dunik.com

Post by steve@dunik.com » Fri May 16, 2014 7:06 am

Hi Dan,

I disabled all the firewalls and it made no difference.

As a longtime user of VueMinder, I had this function working a couple of weeks ago but after making some changes to avoid duplicate entries on multiple calendars it stopped updating the google calendar. Are there any settings on the gmail side that could cause this? Is there any tests that I could do to try and find the issue?

Steve