'Add shared calendar' option missing

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MikeM

'Add shared calendar' option missing

Post by MikeM » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:10 am

I've just followed the steps for sharing calendars on the local network, tested connections via the Options/Sharing menu on both the relevant computers, and had the message that connection was successful. I've also specified a couple of calendars to be shared. However the option to 'Add shared calendar' is still not there on the File menu for either computer, so I can't go any further. Any ideas?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: 'Add shared calendar' option missing

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:13 am

Hi Mike, welcome to the forums. The "Add Shared Calendar" command was removed because it should no longer be necessary in the latest version. When a calendar is configured to be shared on one computer, all other computers that are configured to sync with the same MySQL Server host should automatically see the calendar. The intent of this change was to simplify the setup.

I'm not sure why the shared calendar hasn't automatically appeared on your other computers. Can you make sure the same host has been specified in the Sharing Options on all computers?

Also, try the "Test Connection" button in the Sharing Options, followed by the "Show Log" button. Do this on all computers. Do you get any error messages, which would indicate VueMinder is encountering a problem connecting to the server? If so, there could be a firewall issue. See the troubleshooting information at the bottom of the instructions page linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

jkushner

Post by jkushner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:26 am

Hello, we are having a similar issue. We have three computers that were previously on version 9.x which worked perfectly for about 1.5 year. Suddenly we started having syncing issues and random duplications. Today I upgraded to the latest version on all three computers and setup the MYSQL server.

On the main computer I used to share the calendars there are 7 calendars, all shared and all visible. These calendars are also published to a website.

One of the other computers is only able to see two of the calendars.

The third computer can only see one shared calendar.

I've tried bouncing the MySQL service, rebooting server and clients, checking firewalls, etc. No dice. What next?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:56 am

I don't know why you're seeing this behavior. It's not something I've been able to duplicate. I'll investigate further and will let you know when a correction is available.

In the meantime, try clearing out the host name in the Sharing Options, click OK, and then re-enter the host name in the Sharing Options. This should force VueMinder to update with anything that has been added to the database from other computers.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

jkushner

Post by jkushner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:01 am

I actually tried this, Dan. No dice. Is there a config file I can blow away on one of the systems to force it to pull a fresh configuration from the server? I am wondering if the fact that I did an in place upgrade is causing problems?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:12 am

You could try resetting the data/settings by using the utility linked below. Make sure you fully exit VueMinder before doing this.
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip
Dan Chartrand, Founder

jkushner

Post by jkushner » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks, Dan. I tried this on the workstation that was only seeing two of the seven calendars. Now it is only able to see one of the seven. The sharing log from this workstation shows a number of these messages:

[7/3/2014 3:56:08 PM] administrator created event in a calendar that is not shared with your account.

However, I have shared all 7 calendars with everyone and given them contributor permissions.

Any ideas? Are there server logs I can get at?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 pm

When you set the calendar permissions, make sure the username is entered as (Everyone), in parenthesis. If that doesn't fix it, try entering the specific username(s) that are used in the Sharing Options on your computers for connecting to the server. Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

jkushner

Post by jkushner » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 am

No luck, unfortunately. I checked permissions and even gave administrator contributor rights on each of the calendars. It's not clear what is different with the one calendar that is indeed visible.

Here are some more details, for what it is worth.

Server with MySQL is merely an XP system. The main system I used to share the calendars is Windows 7. The two workstations with issues seeing all calendars are Windows XP.

Would there be any utility in blowing away the MySQL server and reinstalling?

Let me know next steps here please. Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi jkushner, there might be some network connectivity problem when running MySQL Server on an XP machine and trying to connect from Windows 7, but I'm not sure. Could you try installing MySQL Server on one of your Windows 7 machines to see if that makes any difference? Don't forget to update the host name in the Sharing Options.

If you want to try reinstalling MySQL Server on your XP machine, you can use the Control Panel to uninstall. Make sure to fully exit VueMinder on all computers first by right-clicking the VueMinder icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit". After uninstalling, you can reinstall by following the instructions on the page linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
Dan Chartrand, Founder