Saving 12 month calenders

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Accredo

Saving 12 month calenders

Post by Accredo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Hello:

I hope I can explain this correctly without rambling. Is there an easy way to save one year without having to save every calender, i.e. Holidays, Birthdays etc separately and then start a new year w/all of your settings fresh Vs a growing year after year calender file.

I would like to save a one year file from Jan 01 thru Dec 31 and maintain my settings with a new year but without all of my notes/entries but with recurring events, holidays, birthdays etc. Does that question make sense? :D

I'm using registered VueMinder Pro 11.2.3 and absolutely love it!

Thanks Accredo

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Saving 12 month calenders

Post by VueSoft » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi Accredo, thank you for the feedback. I believe what you're looking for is an "auto-archive" feature which will automatically export old events to an external file (which can be restored later in case you ever need to). This feature isn't currently in VueMinder but it's planned for the next major release. I'll post a reply when it's available.

In the meantime, you can archive your old events manually. Here's how:

1. Before doing anything else, click the "Backup Data" command on the File menu to make a backup of your data. If the process goes wrong, you can restore to your current data using the "Restore Data" command.

2. After backing up the data, click the "Export Events" command on the File menu.

3. Export your calendar to an iCalendar (ICS) file. Make sure the "Export reminders and extended data" and "Export event colors" boxes are checked. The "Do not export events occurring more than" box should be unchecked.

4. After exporting the calendar, right-click its name in the calendar list and select "Delete Calendar". Depending on how many events the calendar contains, this might take a minute or two. If VueMinder says it's not responding, please wait until it's finished (don't kill the process).

5. Repeat steps 3-4 for any other calendars you'd like to archive.

6. After the calendars have been deleted, import the calendars using the "Import Events" command on the File menu.

7. Select iCalendar as the source, click Next, and then open the previously exported ICS file.

8. Check all 4 boxes on the Import window. Adjust the number of days based on how far in the past you want to see previous events (the default is 30). Note, the import will include recurring events that started before the specified number of days but still have occurrences in the future.

9. Click the Next button to finish importing. Repeat for any other calendars you've exported. After doing this, you might also see a noticeable improvement in VueMinder's processing speed.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Accredo

Post by Accredo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Hello Dan:

Thank you for your reply and instructions. I followed the steps you outlined and it worked perfectly. I look forward to the Auto-Archive function. Are there plans to also offer a manual archive with a From-To option or something User selectable?

And lastly, would I be eligible for that major release upgrade since I just bought this release or would I have to purchase the new one? (It'll be worth buying it if need be) :)

Thanks again for your help and have a great weekend.

Accredo

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi Accredo, the auto-archive feature will be configurable by the user and a manual archive option will also be provided.

Your purchase included 12 months of update protection, which also covers any major releases. If the next major release is completed before your update protection expires, it will be a free update. Otherwise, the cost to renew is $24.95 USD for 12 months of updates or $49.95 USD for lifetime updates (no expiration). I don't have an estimated completion date yet, but I'm pretty sure the next major version will be released well before your update protection expires.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA