Network Sync question

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
DL6024

Network Sync question

Post by DL6024 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:09 pm

I have a home network with three PC's. I purchased VueMinder Pro so I could have my VueMinder calendars available and up-to-date on all three PC's. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get MySQL set up. I've made five separate efforts to get it to work and have spent about 30 hours on this. At this point it does not make sense for me to continue. MySQL is just far too complex to download, install and use for me to justify the time it would take to learn it and get it to actually work.

As a work-around, I'm currently using the VueMinder backup/restore feature to move updated data from one PC to another but this is very inefficient. It of course requires me to always keep in mind and remember which PC has the most recent data before I enter any new data-- so as to avoid over-writing any data previously entered on one of the other PC's.

I'm also using Google Calendar to sync some calendars, but many of the VueMinder features I want to use do not sync through Google.

My question is...

I have ViewMinder Pro installed on all three PC's. Can I copy the data folder (Options/ Program/ Program Data/ Data Folder) from one of the PC's to my network drive and then change the data folder path in all three VueMinder installations to that network path? I guess the more specific question is, can the VueMinder data files be accessed by more than one PC at a time?

Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Network Sync question

Post by VueSoft » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi DL6024, welcome to the forums. Usually, configuring MySQL Server is very easy and getting VueMinder configured to share calendars can be done in a matter of minutes. Detailed instructions are provided and I know many people have followed these instructions to successfully configure calendar sharing. I'm not sure what caused the issues you're seeing, but my guess is that your firewall might have been interfering.

Unfortunately, VueMinder is not designed to support using the same data folder on multiple computers that are running VueMinder simultaneously. If you set it up like this, then changes made on one computer will overwrite changes made on another.

One possible alternative would be to sync VueMinder with iCalendar (ICS) files on a shared drive. This type of sharing can be enabled by following these steps:

1. Open the Calendar Properties by double-clicking the calendar’s name you’d like to share.
2. Click the Sync tab.
3. Check the “Sync with file or URL (2-way)” box.
4. Specify a location for the shared ICS file somewhere on your network that other computers can access.
5. On your other computers, click the “Add Calendar Subscription” command and then browse for the ICS file.
6. The calendar will import but will be read-only. If you need to be able modify the calendar, open the Calendar Properties and check the “Sync with file or URL (2-way)” box. Repeat for all other computers.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

DL6024

Post by DL6024 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks Dan for the quick response.

Actually two of my attempts were made with firewalls turned completely off, so I can't imagine that is the issue. I did follow the 'Detailed Instructions' as much as possible, but they appear to be very out-of-date (12 April 2014). In several key areas, the directions and images do not match the actual online documents and choices at MySQL webpages and MySQL local installation routines and windows. In each case of something being different than the instructions, I chose what I thought was most like what is in the instructions, but it is all very different.

Also I did try syncing through local ics files as you describe, but again, this does not allow syncing of some of the VueMinder features I would want to use.

I've also thought of buying the USB version of VueMinder, but in thinking out how I would need to use it, this would be even more inefficient than using the backup/restore method. If I went down that road, I'd have to question why I even bother having a local network.

Again, I really appreciate your prompt and detailed response. I don't mean to sound as if I'm a VueMinder-hater. I'm not. I love the program. I think it is fantastic. Its just that I can't justify all of this trouble merely to sync. All I wanted to do was to sync three local PC's. My old program does that effortlessly.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Hello, thank you for the feedback. I'll update the screenshots in the instructions to match the latest MySQL version. The instructions were written for MySQL Server v5.6.17 and the latest version is currently v5.6.20.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

DL6024

Post by DL6024 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:14 pm

Using the updated instructions referenced above, I tried installing MySQL again. This time installation to my PC worked just fine. The instruction screenshots and text exactly matched the MySQL setup windows so it was easy to go through the process.

The MySQL Workbench showed that MySQLVueMinder was running. Everything seemed in order.

However, in VueMinder, when I tried to connect, an error message immediately popped up.

"The system detected an invalid pointer address in attempting to use a pointer argument in a call."

I checked Windows Firewall. The MySQL install had not created a rule for MySQLVueMinder even though I had checked the appropriate box in MySQL setup. I manually created a rule but got the same error. I manually turned off the firewall completely. The same error occurred.

The error seems to not have anything to do with the firewall. The error message pops up instantly. It happens so fast, it just seems to me that no attempt is even made to proceed with a process that gets blocked by the firewall.

I did a Google search for the error message. It seems to be a rather generic MySQL error message with thousands of Google references. I looked at a few of the links but as far as it relates to my scenario it is like a needle in a haystack.

I uninstalled MySQL from the PC and installed it directly to my network drive. Everything went exactly as it did with the install to the PC. Same error. Same error message wording.

One other thing I noticed is that the VueMinders on the other two computers on my home network would connect to MySQL. Of course there was no Calendar syncing because the VueMinder on my main PC was not connecting up.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 am

Hi DL6024, that's an error message I haven't seen before. Do you have Visual Studio installed, by any chance? It appears there's a very intermittent bug with MySQL Server and computers that have Visual Studio installed. See the page linked below for more information:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=70676

My search found that some people were able to fix the problem by reinstalling Visual Studio. I'm not sure if that's the solution in your case. If you don't know what Visual Studio is, then this is probably a dead end.

Also, are you running a 64-bit version of Windows? If so, did you install the 64-bit version of MySQL Server? Installing the 32-bit version on a 64-bit version of Windows might cause the error you're seeing...although it's not at all clear to me why that would be the case.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

DL6024

Post by DL6024 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:24 am

No I don't have Visual Studio-- as far as I know or can tell. It is not in the start menu and a search shows nothing. I'm assuming if it was present it would be in the Start Menu or installed in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) or appear in the Control Panel uninstall list.

Yes I have 64 bit Win 8.0 and I was very careful to select 64 bit MySQL.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 am

Hi DL6024, another possibility is an IPv4 vs IPv6 problem, but I'm not really sure how to determine if that's the case.

An alternative to MySQL Server would be to sync through Google Calendar or sync 2-way with ICS files on your local network (or cloud drive). You can enable these options via the Sync tab of the Calendar Properties.
Dan Chartrand, Founder