Description of an event is cut short when exporting

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
jeff44663

Description of an event is cut short when exporting

Post by jeff44663 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:02 pm

I am currently using VueMinder Ultimate trial version with the expectation of purchasing it at the end of the trial. In order to keep my Outlook 2013 web-based calendar and my Windows phone in synch, I have been exporting the event calendars to an .ics file on the laptop desktop, then uploading it to Outlook, to which the Windows phone synchs automatically. I sometimes copy and paste and/or write a very lengthy and detailed description of some events. I have noticed that when the description field is especially long, the last part of it is truncated when it gets to Outlook and to the Windows phone, At first I thought this may be an Outlook limitation of the field length. However, when I previously used a different desktop calendar app (which kept crashing and losing everything), it was able to synch extremely long description fields without truncating. Can someone tell me of a way that I can synch my calendar to Outlook 2013 without anything being truncated? Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Description of an event is cut short when exporting

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:29 am

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forums. I've attempted to duplicate the behavior you're seeing, but the entire descriptions appear to export when I try it. To test, I created a description consisting of 13,000 words (in MS Word, that's about 18 pages of single-line text using a font size of 10). After exporting to an ics file, I opened the ics file in Notepad and inspected the description field, which appeared to include all the text that was entered. I then imported the ics file into Outlook.com and the entire description imported as expected. Are your descriptions longer than 13,000 words?

Maybe there's something within the description you're entering which is causing the text to be truncated when exporting. Could you send an example of a description that doesn't export properly to support@vueminder.com, so I can see if I can duplicate the problem? Please copy and send the text from the "Plain Text" tab (at the bottom of the Description tab). This will ensure that I get the description exactly as entered (with all HTML codes), and hopefully make it more likely that I'll be able to duplicate the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

jeff44663

Post by jeff44663 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and the welcome. I have been able to import an .ics file into the Outlook program on my computer with no truncating of the description field information, however it is still being truncated when I import that .ics file to the web-based Windows Live calendar that I use. I am speculating that there could be a field length limitation on the web-based calendar. In fact, when I attempt to manually add text to the description field on the web-based calendar, it is not possible to do so, and it even automatically truncates further to whatever that maximum field length may be. I have tried using both Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer to perform the imports to the web-based calendar, and it is still truncated. Apparently there is nothing weird in the text that is causing it since it imports to the Outlook program on my computer just fine. I thought that perhaps the full text would synch with the web-based calendar, and ultimately to my Windows Phone, from the Outlook desktop application, but no such luck.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi Jeff, thank you for the information. I took a closer look and it initially appears the text imports into Outlook.com, but when the event is opened and the description is clicked a couple times, the description gets truncated down to something much shorter. It seems Outlook.com has a limitation of 4000 characters for event descriptions. There's no such limitation in VueMinder or in the exported iCalendar files.

It doesn't appear there's anything that can be done in VueMinder to fix the Outlook.com limitation. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

jeff44663

Post by jeff44663 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Thank you so much for your assistance, and I just want to say that after having tried a number of different desktop calendar apps, VueMinder is the best darn one I've seen. Keep up the good work, and I will be purchasing it.