VueMinder gradually slowing down

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ksee

VueMinder gradually slowing down

Post by ksee » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:28 am

Hi, I'm finding as time passes and more & more events etc are added that my VueMinder is slowing right down to the point it's becoming a bit of a pain. It's not a problem with initial start-up time, but with opening, saving, closing Events, Tasks etc. Generally any time a view is switched, or a change is made it's taking longer & longer to complete (10-30+ secs), or VueMinder just hangs. Can you suggest on how to improve this situation?

I have VueMinder Ultimate running on a less-than-a-year-old, high spec notebook running Windows 8.1. I've removed & reinstalled my AV (Avira), to no effect.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder gradually slowing down

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi ksee, this problem will be fixed in the next major release. In the meantime, archiving your old data might help. Here's how;

1. Before doing anything else, click the "Backup Data" command on the File menu to make a backup of your data. If the process goes wrong, you can restore to your current data using the "Restore Data" command.

2. After backing up the data, click the "Export Events" command on the File menu.

3. Export your calendar to an iCalendar (ICS) file. Make sure the "Export reminders and extended data" and "Export event colors" boxes are checked. The "Do not export events occurring more than" box should be unchecked.

4. After exporting the calendar, right-click its name in the calendar list and select "Delete Calendar". Depending on how many events the calendar contains, this might take a while. If VueMinder says it's not responding, please wait until it's finished (don't kill the process).

5. Repeat steps 3-4 for any other calendars you'd like to archive.

6. After the calendars have been deleted, import the calendars using the "Import Events" command on the File menu.

7. Select iCalendar as the source, click Next, and then open the previously exported ICS file.

8. Check all 4 boxes on the Import window. Adjust the number of days based on how far in the past you want to see previous events (the default is 30). Note, the import will include recurring events that started before the specified number of days but still have occurrences in the future.

9. Click the Next button to finish importing. Repeat for any other calendars you've exported. After doing this, you should see a noticeable improvement in VueMinder's processing speed.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ksee

Post by ksee » Sat May 16, 2015 2:41 am

VueSoft wrote:this problem will be fixed in the next major release
Hi Dan....any idea when the new release might be? I'm looking forward to this when it happens.

Regards

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi ksee, I don't have an estimated release date yet. There are many improvements currently in work or planned, and implementing all those improvements will take some time. A pre-release beta will be announced here on the forums (when it's ready), in case you'd like an earlier look.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA