Adapt Color description through import.

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
freet

Adapt Color description through import.

Post by freet » Thu May 07, 2015 6:42 am

Dear readers,

After having build an excel that generates a certain planning which I import to VueMinder pro V11.2.8, I found out VueMinder does not adapt/copy the font color I've designated for certain parts of certain descriptions (i.e. 1 cell in excel under "Details/Description" can contain several colors. )

The question is whether there is an option to import/copy that font color that is saved in the excel that I import with:
Import tasks>*Microsoft Excel>....

Or, even better, whether I could add any "code" to/in the textual description which Vueminder will recognise as an indicater to make a bit of text within a description of 1 task, a certain designated color?

If the answers to both questions are "no", I reside by the question of whether 1 of those 2 options is perhaps possible through 1 of the other task-import methods, e.g.: "CSV file", "ics file" or "Microsoft Outlook",.

Kind regards! :roll:

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Adapt Color description through import.

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi freet, welcome to the forums. Do you know HTML code? If so, you can do all kinds of things with the Description cells in Excel. When the description imports into VueMinder, the text will be formatted as specified in the HTML code.

For example, if a Description cell has the following value in Excel...
<p>Hello</p><p style="color:red">This text is red</p>

This is how it will look after importing into VueMinder...

See the page linked below for an intro to HTML:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

freet

Post by freet » Sat May 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Dear Dan Chartrand, thanks!
That was exactly the answer and information I was looking for! I'm not specifically familiar with HTML code, but that won't be a problem :)
An example of the actual bit that I had to figure out is rather generous so thank you for that piece of code! & a nice finishing touch to add a screenshot of the result of the implementation :)
Furthermore, the link to expand my knowledge is appreciated!

Kind regards,

Freet.

freet

Post by freet » Tue May 12, 2015 8:14 pm

So I have implemented the code in my excel which is automatically saved and exported as "tasks.xlsx" and manually importing the excel file as a task works perfectly, but my goal is to automate this process. Which I am apparently not successful in yet.

There are several ways to achieve the synchronization of "tasks.xlsx";
Manually import "tasks.xlsx" as a task. *Don't know how to automate this import within vueminder.
convert the .xlsx within excel to .ics manually. *Takes a lot new knowledge and time as far as I am aware of.
convert the .xlsx on a website to ics. *cannot be automated + privacy concerns.
convert the .xlsx with a program *I am not aware of any such programs/seems unnecessary

Prefered options:
-use vueminder ultimate V11.2.8 to (automatically?) convert the .xlsx file to .ics (or different format with a 2nd external conversion) and then automatically sync the created .ics file.
-use vueminder ultimate V11.2.8 to automatically sync with the tasks.xlsx through some option/setting I am unfamiliar with.

?any other suggestions to achieve the shortest/most practical way to a fully automated synchronisation of the tasks.xlsx >vueminder?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance :roll:

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue May 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi freet, you can automatically command VueMinder to import events (but not tasks) by creating a file named "FilesToImport.txt" in the VueMinder application data directory (example: "C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VueSoft\VueMinder\FilesToImport.txt").

That file simply contains the name of a file, including its full path, to be imported. If multiple files are to be imported, put each file on a separate line. The files listed can be either ICS, CSV, Excel, or tab-delimited text files. If using a non-ICS format, the field names need to match the values specified in the "Supported Field Names" section:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... excel.html

It’s possible you could write a script to automatically generate the "FilesToImport.txt" file when your Excel file contains new data.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

freet

Post by freet » Tue May 19, 2015 7:33 am

Everything worked out perfectly, just in case anyone ever stumbles upon the same issue here's an example of how it was implemented:

Code: Select all

Dim u As Integer
For u = 1 To 2:
Const v = 2
Dim stringname(v) As Variant

stringname(1) = Worksheets("Yoursheet with events in correct vueminderformat").Range("A1").Value
stringname(2) = Worksheets("Yourothersheet with events in correct vueminderformat").Range("A2").Value & "something to distinguish filenames"

'here the 2 sheets are exported to "C:\"YOUR PATH"\" & "Your filename" & ".xlsx
'Note sheets need to be closed before the other can be exported
next u

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set a = fs.CreateTextFile("C:\Users\"YOUR USERNAME"\AppData\Local\VueSoft\VueMinder\FilesToImport.txt", True)
    a.WriteLine ("C:\"YOUR PATH"\" & "stringname(1)" & ".xlsx")
    a.WriteLine ("C:\"YOUR PATH"\" & stringname(2) & ".xlsx")
    a.Close

And here's an example html code for importation of colors within the description to events in vueminder:

Code: Select all

'j(k) is a string array consisting of sheetnames which is looped through for k=1 to 8

Dim kDarkBlue As String
kDarkBlue = "<p style=""color:DarkBlue"">" 'make string consisting of htmlcode for certain color.

Worksheets("P").Range(r).Value = Worksheets("P").Range(r).Value & kDarkBlue & j(k) & "sometext" & Worksheets(j(k)).Range(e).Value & Worksheets(j(k)).Range(f).Value & Worksheets(j(k)).Range(g).Value & " " & Worksheets(j(k)).Range(h).Value & "</p>" & Chr(10)