Google messes up 'all-day' events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
bravotango

Google messes up 'all-day' events

Post by bravotango » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:59 am

Hello, Not sure if this question has been asked before but I just finished creating a list of birthdays and anniversaries for ancestors and it works beautifully in VueMinder.

Naturally these events are all-day events but when I sync them to Google calendar every one of these events spans two days.

I searched and found that this seems to be a problem with Google using Coordinated Universal Time but there seems to be no effort from Google to fix the issue as far as I can see.

Is there any setting possible in VueMinder that I can use to fix the issue?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Google messes up 'all-day' events

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:48 am

Hi bravotango, thank you for the feedback. I'm unable to duplicate the problem you're seeing. When I define an all-day yearly recurring event in VueMinder and it syncs to Google Calendar, the event occurrences are on single days in Google Calendar.

Time zones shouldn't affect all-day events, so I'm not sure why you're seeing this problem. Are you certain the "All day" box is checked in VueMinder?

Also, please open the Calendar Settings on the Google Calendar web page (click the drop-down arrow next to the calendar name). Make sure the calendar time zone matches the time zone you have selected in Windows.

I'm not sure if that will fix the problem, but I can't think of any other reason why you'd be seeing this behavior. Does your Google Calendar sync with any other software? Maybe there's something else that is causing the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

bravotango

Post by bravotango » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:38 am

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your suggestions and thank you for this lovely calendar.

The 'All day' box is definitely ticked and all the events are good in VueMinder.

I just tried adding time of 12AM to the 'Start' field in the Excel list as well as a new 'End' field with same date and time of 11:59PM on the same day and no difference in the Google calendar. Events still span two days.

I also had Duration '1 day' in the list.

Google also has a start and finish date similar to VueMinder and I would have to do every entry manually in Google to fix it but then on the next sync it might be back to the same error. I can try that next.

I was able to make my time zone exactly the same as Google. I see they put Guam which is similar but on my PC I have UTC +10 (Brisbane) so I changed that.

I thought there might have been some other setting but that's about it for the moment. I will try the manual fix in Google.

Perhaps Google is syncing from UTC 12AM to UTC 11:59PM which would explain the extra day. I will first try adjusting the time on one event in VueMinder to make the duration from 12AM to 1PM to prevent it going past midnight for my local time.

bravotango

Post by bravotango » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:29 am

A bit of progress. OK I am doing this. I have google running on the screen with VueMinder in front so I can see both and I open an event, just one at a time and it shows same start and end day with 1 day duration. I uncheck the 'All day' box and it shows the event on the same day from 12AM to 12AM, duration 1 minutes. I think this is where the error is because my list is different. I change the finish time to 11:45PM and tick the 'All day' box and it changes the end time to 11:59PM. Still 1 day but the duration is changed to 24 hours.
When I sync the calendar I can see it change on the Google page.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:17 am

Can you check if you're using the latest version of VueMinder (11.2.8)? You can check by using the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu. The behavior you describe sounds like something that might have been fixed in a previous release.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bravotango

Post by bravotango » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Good morning Dan,

I have the latest version of VueMinder Pro.
I just got it working now. I changed all my end times in the excel file to 23:00 and also made the Duration fields to 23 hours but still left the 'All day' fields checked.
It imported to VueMinder OK but I notice if I hover over and event it tells me 'Occurs every June 3 effective 03/06/2015 from 12:00AM to 11:59PM', not 11:00PM but that is OK because it works.
If I open an event and deselect 'All-day' it shows duration 0 minutes and end time 12:00AM but if I do this a couple of times it changes to 11:59PM, but that is OK too because it syncs to Google correctly.

However there seems to be another problem. Only 400 events are imported instead of 686, seems to miss out on all the events from January to April for some reason. Could that be because I am saying not to import events more than 10 days in the past? I thought this simply applied to past occurrences not future events. I should mention here that there is no such thing as "N span" in excel cell formatting as far as I know.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi bravotango, thank you for the information. Are you seeing the problem only when importing all-day recurring events from Excel, not when creating new events directly in VueMinder? If so, I've found what is causing the problem. A correction has been made for the next release.

Regarding the import not picking up all events, that could be due to the recurring events starting more than 10 days in the past. This has also been corrected in the next release. In the meantime, try unchecking the box that is excluding older events.

I'll post a reply when the next (minor) release is available to download. This should happen within a few days.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bravotango

Post by bravotango » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:07 am

Thanks for that Dan. It only looks to be happening when importing all-day recurring events from Excel.
However I easily rescued the missed entries and assigned them to the first calendar in VueMinder so everything is working now.
This is the first time I have had to do a bit of work with VueMinder so it's a good tutorial for me.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:23 pm

The problem with syncing all-day events that are imported from Excel has been corrected in version 11.2.9. The problem with recurring events not importing when using the option to exclude older events also been corrected.

To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder