Custom field usage

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Ron_MacRae

Custom field usage

Post by Ron_MacRae » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:09 am

Hi,
I'm evaluating VueMinder Ultimate and it doesn't apper to do a couple of things I need. However this may just be my unfamiliarity.

I'm putting together a calender for a group of 4 locations. Each location has it's own calendar and events at each location are led by one of about 8 different people at different times. I've added a LEADER custom field field.

Two things I'd like to be able to do.

1) have the leader field appear on the main calendar and drop the location field, without having to click on the item, so that each person can see at a glance when they are leading. I can already tell the location from the colour of the calendar item so it's not needed as text as well. I could just put Leader in the location field but that seems wrong. Is there a way to select what appears on the primary calendar screen?

2) I'd like to be able to print a calendar for each person so they can see their own events at a glance. I know I can sort and print an events list but I'd like to be able to produce calendars for each of the leaders.

Is this already possible?

If so can you point me at doc?

Ron.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Custom field usage

Post by VueSoft » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi Ron, welcome to the forums.
1) have the leader field appear on the main calendar and drop the location field, without having to click on the item, so that each person can see at a glance when they are leading. I can already tell the location from the colour of the calendar item so it's not needed as text as well. I could just put Leader in the location field but that seems wrong. Is there a way to select what appears on the primary calendar screen?
Unfortunately, there's no mechanism to show custom field values directly in the event blocks on the Day/Week/Month view. Instead of defining a custom field for the leader, you could re-purpose the "Category" field. You can define a category (and color) for each leader using the "Categories" command on the Tools menu. On the View menu, select "Color Event Sidebar Using -> Category Colors". This will enable you to see which leaders are assigned to which events based on the color coding of your leader categories.

Another option would be to define calendars for each leader, rather than for each location. There's a "location" field that you can use for entering where the event will occur, and the location value will also appear in the Day/Week/Month view when "Show High Detail" is selected from the settings menu (the gear button in the upper-right corner). This approach would also help with #2.
2) I'd like to be able to print a calendar for each person so they can see their own events at a glance. I know I can sort and print an events list but I'd like to be able to produce calendars for each of the leaders.
If you define a calendar for each leader, you can turn off overlay mode so each leader's events will print separately. Overlay mode can be disabled via the settings button in the upper-right corner.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Ron_MacRae

Post by Ron_MacRae » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:07 am

Dan,
Thanks for the reply but I don't think it really helps. if I do calendars per person then I can't print a calendar for each location.

Basically I'm going to have data for multiple people and multiple locations. I want to be able to print calendars for each location and for each person.

What I want is selection criteria on the calendar print or display. I.e. show me either what is on at location A, or what is persob B doing, for the next few months.

Unfortunatly I've not found any calendar software that does this. I think I'll have to write my own.
I find that surprising. I thought it would be a common requirement.

Ron.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 am

Hi Ron, thank you for clarifying. You can use the checkboxes for the calendars and/or locations to define a custom filter. For example, if you want to see all the events for a certain location (regardless of the calendar/person), then keep all the calendars checked and uncheck all the locations except the one you want to see. There's a right-click menu option on the Locations tab which will uncheck all the locations in one operation, and then you can just check the one you're interested in seeing.

VueMinder supports compound queries as well. In other words, you could also have certain calendars checked or unchecked, in addition to locations. For example, if you want to see events for 3 people, but only their events that occur at 2 locations, then you'd have 3 of your calendars checked and 2 of your locations checked. Everything else would be unchecked.

The page linked below explains this in more detail:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... rlist.html

Does that help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Ron_MacRae

Post by Ron_MacRae » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:07 pm

Dan,
Thanks. That's perfect. I think I'll either stick with one calendar or one calendar per location. There are going to be dozens of people but only 4 or 5 locations. As long as I can select on location/person combinations I'm good.

Colours based on the person will allow me to show people more easily.

Let me go and play some more.

Thanks.

Ron.