Multiplying entries

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MDRiggs

Multiplying entries

Post by MDRiggs » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:24 pm

My wife has recently been having a problem where Vueminder Ultimate multiplies entries. She adds a new event, then returns later to find a duplicate entry, often three extras, sometimes more. (Initially all she got were doubles, but lately she tends to get more.) Happens with birthdays, as well. Once she actually observed an event quadruple. Doesn't happen immediately after the initial entry, however. Vueminder on my PC, which syncs to hers, shows some of these multiples but not nearly as many. In one case where she has four entries I see only two. Both running Windows 10 64-bit, all latest updates to both OS and Vueminder.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Multiplying entries

Post by VueSoft » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi MDRiggs, thank you for the feedback. You shouldn't be seeing duplicate events. Are you syncing with MySQL Server, Google Calendar, Exchange Server, or something else? It's possible there's some type of syncing problem, but I'll need to investigate further.

In the meantime, you might be able to remove most of the duplicates by following these steps on your wife's computer:

1. Exit VueMinder by right-clicking its icon in the system tray (near the clock) and selecting "Exit".

2. Reset the local data by downloading and running the utility linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

3. Restart VueMinder.

4. If you're using MySQL Server, re-enter the server name, username, and password in the Sharing Options. The shared calendar(s) will download to VueMinder. If your calendar contains many tens of thousands of events, this might take a few seconds.

5. If you sync with something else, such as Google Calendar, use the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu to re-add the calendars. Again, this might take a few seconds. Please wait for the initial sync to complete before creating or deleting any events.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks. Yes, using MySQL and Google Calendar. All entries originate on her computer, though. (I have write access but have never used it, and she uses Google Calendar just to check her calendar, not to modify it.) Should I run the ResetData utility on all our computers running Vueminder or just hers?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:03 am

Hi MDRiggs, do you sync the same calendar with both Google Calendar and MySQL Server. If so, try syncing the calendar through Google Calendar only. Functionally, it won't be any different than syncing through MySQL Server.

The ResetData utility should only be run on your wife's computer. After running the utility, use the "Add Google Calendar" command to re-add the calendar and leave the Sharing Settings empty.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks. MySQL seems always to work, though. Google Calendar seems iffier.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:41 pm

I believe the problem is due to syncing the same calendar with BOTH Google Calendar and MySQL Server at the same time. I'm looking into the problem. In the meantime, sync the calendar with either MySQL Server or Google Calendar (whichever you prefer) but not both.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Okay. Thanks again.

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:52 pm

After I ran the Reset Data utility, entries for many calendars did not come back, so I restored from the latest backup. I did turn off Google Calendar sync, however. I see that Google Calendar sync has an option I had not paid much attention to before, to sync in only one direction. Maybe setting it to sync to but not from would help?

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Any further thoughts?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:00 am

Changing the sync direction to 1-way (VueMinder to Google) might help. However, I believe I've found what is causing the problem when syncing 2-way with both Google Calendar and MySQL Server. A correction is in work and will be in the next release. The correction should be available within the next week or two.
Dan Chartrand, Founder