sort of a wishlist

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dglp

sort of a wishlist

Post by dglp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:03 am

I'm on day 3 of the trial version, and am liking it enough that I want to keep working with it, but am also slightly frustrated by an increasing variety of things. So I'd like to set up a thread where I can post comments as I find things that don't quite do what I want. I realise this might be better on the Suggestions Forum, but I'm going to focus mainly on things that don't seem quite right, that might be 'fixable'.

For example, I sync'ed with a google calendar, and something transposed the descriptions from various appointments. I'm not too concerned with that at the moment, but if it happens again I will post details.

Similarly, I tried importing from Excel, and found that empty categories were overwritten - not with the Default tag, but with the last active category. I'd rather that Blank categories were left blank. Similarly, going into each appointment to untick the Default category is time-consuming.

From here on out I'll just make a bullet point list of things.
  • Something reproduces the default category list. Can I edit that list to eliminate most of the categories that come with the default installation? I deleted them one-by-one the first time, but they've come back.
  • Having the keyboard shortcut facility respond to keystrokes and having more options would be nice. (I have set up Ctrl+Shift+I/E for import and export, but would prefer Ctrl+Alt+I/E.)
  • Being able to specify the export file path in advance would be nice - having it Save without the intermediate step would help with automating the export process.
  • Trying to move appointments one slot up/down by dragging in Day view gives me trouble. I can grab the left end, and it seems to move, but always bounces back. It works fine if I'm moving to another day, or within Week view.
  • I would like the Now view to open the Today view and focus on the current hour. Can that be modified somewhere?
  • Is there a way of fast-tabbing between appointment fields? Once I set the Title I'd like to go directly to the Description using the keyboard.
    Wishes
  • Having the option to import csv, tabbed txt files would be nice.
  • I've been using Mozilla Sunbird up to now, and syncing with Gcal. Since Sunbird is a desktop app, it would be nice to sync directly with it, instead of going via Gcal. I could probably export an iCal, but would rather have an active sync.
  • I'd be really happy to add appointments by email. Being able to modify an appointment by Reply email would be fab!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: sort of a wishlist

Post by VueSoft » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 am

Hi dglp, thank you for the feedback.
Something reproduces the default category list. Can I edit that list to eliminate most of the categories that come with the default installation? I deleted them one-by-one the first time, but they've come back.
Deleting categories should remove the category associations from existing events. It's possible this isn't working correctly, so when the program starts it detects events that have associated categories that are not in the category list, which results in the missing categories being added back into the list. I'll see if I can replicate this problem and will work on fixing it for the next release.
Having the keyboard shortcut facility respond to keystrokes and having more options would be nice. (I have set up Ctrl+Shift+I/E for import and export, but would prefer Ctrl+Alt+I/E.)
To customize the keyboard shortcuts, right-click the toolbar and select "Customize". Click the "Keyboard" button on the customization window, and then you add or modify keyboard shortcuts for almost every menu command.
Being able to specify the export file path in advance would be nice - having it Save without the intermediate step would help with automating the export process.
The file isn't actually created until the Export button is clicked, despite the file browser window containing a "Save" button. I'll see if I can rename that button to something else. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about automating the export process though. You can type the file name if you don't want to browse for it and click the "Save" button in the file browser window.
Trying to move appointments one slot up/down by dragging in Day view gives me trouble. I can grab the left end, and it seems to move, but always bounces back. It works fine if I'm moving to another day, or within Week view.
I think this is corrected in the next release.
I would like the Now view to open the Today view and focus on the current hour. Can that be modified somewhere?
I'll work on fixing this in the next release. I believe it's displaying the current time slot, but not activating it.
Is there a way of fast-tabbing between appointment fields? Once I set the Title I'd like to go directly to the Description using the keyboard.
No, this is not currently a feature. I think something along these lines could be done, however.
Having the option to import csv, tabbed txt files would be nice.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've added this to my list of future enhancements. In the meantime, if you have Excel you can open the text or csv file in Excel and then save it as a spreadsheet. As long as the required column header names are present, you'll then be able to import the file into VueMinder.
I've been using Mozilla Sunbird up to now, and syncing with Gcal. Since Sunbird is a desktop app, it would be nice to sync directly with it, instead of going via Gcal. I could probably export an iCal, but would rather have an active sync.
I'll need to think about this one. I'm not sure if it's technically feasible, but I'll research it.
I'd be really happy to add appointments by email. Being able to modify an appointment by Reply email would be fab!
Thank you for the suggestion. If you think of any other suggestions, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dglp

Post by dglp » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:28 am

Having the keyboard shortcut facility respond to keystrokes and having more options would be nice. (I have set up Ctrl+Shift+I/E for import and export, but would prefer Ctrl+Alt+I/E.)
To customize the keyboard shortcuts, right-click the toolbar and select "Customize". Click the "Keyboard" button on the customization window, and then you add or modify keyboard shortcuts for almost every menu command.
Dan, thanks for the comprehensive replies. I'll try your suggestions and see how I get on.
I had tried the thing you've described - and have set up Ctrl+Shift+I for import, and Ctrl+Shift+E for export. I suppose my description wasn't clear enough on that point. The thing I'm referring to is that once I'm at that control panel, the keystroke options are limited to a pre-set list. If you look through that list you'll see that none of the options include Ctrl+Alt. That's what I mean by saying it would be nice to have more options. In some applications this control panel fills itself in when one presses the desired keys.

I'll add another response about automating the export/Save question in a bit.

thanks again.

d

dglp

Post by dglp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:46 pm

TestCalendar.ics.txt
Sample ICS file
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Gosh, how time flies!

I can't recall what became of my earlier efforts. But 2010 and that installation was several PCs ago, and now I'm back to check out PrintableCal!

I'm increasingly using my Android calendar to track activities, but struggle to collate the output into a usable form.
Of the calendar-based desktop applications I've found, PrintableCal provides the best options for arranging the various time and description fields in a tabular format. As ever, I want to tweak a template to make things even easier!

I've had most success using the List and Form Letter templates, and would be very interested in the possibility of changing a few parameters on one or the other.

The List template gets closest to what I want, but I'd like to get more of the data out of a given ICS file. Specifically the Category and duration info.
It would be magic if there were a way to parse lines in the Description field into their own columns. In the attached ICS file I've set up some categories and some extra labels in the Description field to give a precise idea of what I'd like to parse as columns in the List template.

Is this an easy ask, and something I could do with existing features, or something that really requires expert know-how?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi dglp, thanks for the feedback. The List template in PrintableCal doesn't support categories, but I've added this to my to-do list. PrintableCal already imports categories from most data sources, so this would be relatively easy for me to implement.

You can customize the current List template to include a Duration column, which would consist of a formula for subtracting the values in the Start column from the values in the End column, and formatting the result as a time-span. The documentation linked below explains how to customize templates:
http://www.printablecal.com/Learn-More/ ... a-Template

Unfortunately, including custom tags from iCalendar files would be a bit more involved. It would require creating a custom data source using the PrintableCal API, and a custom template for using the additional fields. It's definitely possible, but it would require programming knowledge. You can learn more about the API here:
http://www.printablecal.com/Learn-More/API

If you'd prefer, I can develop the custom data source and template for you. Please send an email to support@printablecal.com with more details about the custom fields you'd like to import and how you'd like those fields displayed in the output. I'll put together an estimate on how many hours it would take and how much it would cost.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dglp

Post by dglp » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:09 am

Hi Dan, and thanks for the speedy reply!

I'll think about that custom work request - but it may take some time to fit in between other tasks.
If I'm going to go that route, I might ask for a more bespoke version of the form letter instead.
I'll want to play around with the existing format a bit and see if I can rough out a thing that looks right.

Meanwhile, it's not too hard to get a basic output using the existing List tempate, then revising the output to suit.
If you do get a revised version to support categories, please let me know.

David