Backups automatically cleaned definition

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
slouw

Backups automatically cleaned definition

Post by slouw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi there

My backup settings are at their default I think to "Automatically clean backups older than" 14 days.
Q1 What does this mean?
If I go Calendar > Events I see events today (2018-01-26) going back to 1 Dec 2016. So about 13-14 months of history in my calendar(s).
I have (382 + 75 +1 = 458 events) in my 3 calendars (Bottom right hand side when selecting each calendar)
The description in my backups (File > Backup Data) show 458 events for the last backup.
So all events are being backed up it would seem.
The oldest backup file visible in the (File > Backups) dialog box is 12 Jan which is 14 days ago from today 26 Jan.
So "Automatically clean backups older than" X days appears to mean that only backups up to that date in the past are visible in the (File > Backup) dialog.
In my backups folder the oldest backup I have is July 2017.

Q2 Presumably I can still restore a backup older than one from the last 14 days if choose?

Q3 Does Vueminder delete backups older than a certain date?

Q4 Can Vueminder be set to automatically delete events older than a certain date?

Q5 It would seem that to delete items older than a certain date manually I can do this by selecting the Events tab which I see presents events in date order by default. Would this be the best/easiest/correct method?

Q6 I have read in these forums that Vueminder performance can be greatly improved by deleting old events to make the database smaller. My database has 458 events and the backup files are 700-900K. Will purching old events on this database make any difference? I am assuming this is a very small database. Or maybe not....

Many thanks for any replies

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Backups automatically cleaned definition

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 pm

My backup settings are at their default I think to "Automatically clean backups older than" 14 days.
Q1 What does this mean?
This means any backups that are older than 14 days will be automatically deleted. However, if you've ever reset VueMinder's data, this could result in VueMinder "losing track" of older backup files and not automatically cleaning those. That might be why you see some older backup files when you look in the folder. VueMinder will only clean up the backup files that are listed in the Backup Data window.
Q2 Presumably I can still restore a backup older than one from the last 14 days if choose?
Yes
Q4 Can Vueminder be set to automatically delete events older than a certain date?
Not automatically, but you can use the "File -> Archive Old Data" menu command to remove old events. Note, this won't remove any recurring events that have occurrences after the specified cutoff date.
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... ddata.html
Q5 It would seem that to delete items older than a certain date manually I can do this by selecting the Events tab which I see presents events in date order by default. Would this be the best/easiest/correct method?
That would be one way of doing it, but it might be easier to use the "File -> Archive Old Data" menu command. Also note, if you have a lot of recurring events, deleting old occurrences in the recurring series won't actually help anything, and could make things worse because it complicates the determination of which occurrences are supposed to be displayed and which should be hidden because they've been "deleted".
Q6 I have read in these forums that Vueminder performance can be greatly improved by deleting old events to make the database smaller. My database has 458 events and the backup files are 700-900K. Will purching old events on this database make any difference? I am assuming this is a very small database. Or maybe not....
That doesn't sound like a lot of events. You shouldn't see slow performance with that small a number of events - unless they are all daily recurring events with no ending date. In any case, here are some things you can try which might help improve performance:
  • In the Appearance Options, uncheck the boxes labeled “Use event colors for date numbers in Navigation Pane and Year View” and “Use event colors for date headers in Day, Week, and Month Views”.
  • If you don’t use the “Upcoming Events” area of the Desktop Calendar, reduce the number of days for the “Upcoming events” setting in the Calendar Options to 1 or 2. If you don’t use the Desktop Calendar at all, then also uncheck the “Desktop Calendar” option on the View menu.
  • On the Events, Tasks, and Notes tabs, change the date range to something small, such as Today or “The next 7 days”. Don’t use “All dates”, since you have a large number of daily recurring events.
  • Change the Details Pane to show the “Today” content rather than “Selection”. This setting is accessed via a drop-down list near the bottom of the Details Pane.
  • Uncheck the “Show Tooltips” option in the View menu.
  • Delete any recurring events you don’t need anymore – especially daily recurring events. If you have many daily recurring events, those will tend to slow down VueMinder (I’m planning to fix this).
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

slouw

Post by slouw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Thank you for such a comprehensive response.
Speed has been by big issue but still great software
My thanks again

slouw

Post by slouw » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi there
One further question. Most of the sugestions you made are already the case e.g. Desktop calendar turned off etc etc.

It does seem that recurring events can be problematic and I have many as you have discerned.
Are there any tips you can give regarding good practise in setting them up?

E.g. is it better that they have an end date instead of unlimted? (I think I read that somewhere here?)

You mentioned that archiving old instances of recurring events could be problematic so for example would this help in alleviating that:
- Make all my recurreing events start on 1 Jan 2018 regardless of when i add them though the year; and then
- Archive anything older than that.

Would that help?

Any further comments greatly appreciated

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi slouw, assigning an end date to recurring series can help improve performance. If you set a starting date for a recurring series which is after the date you plan to archive, the series will not be archived.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA