Sync problem

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MDRiggs

Sync problem

Post by MDRiggs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 pm

We have ViewMinder Ultimate running on three computers, two of which sync to the first via MySQL. This has mostly worked fine, but occasionally it just stops working for no apparent reason. Seems to me in the past I've been able to get it working again by changing the client passwords in MySQL, but that's not doing anything for me this time. Frustrating to go through this over and over. Anyhow, any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks.

MDRiggs

Re: Sync problem

Post by MDRiggs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Decided to give it another shot, but now I can't log into MySQL. I get a message that it can't connect to the database.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi MDRiggs, please update to the latest version (2018.01) by clicking the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command. After updating, open the Sharing Options and click the "Test Connection" button. Please let me know the exact error message you receive, or send a screenshot of the error to support@vueminder.com.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks. The client computers connect. On the server computer, I get this response: "A problem occurred while attempting to connect to the server: You must reset your password using ALTER USER statement before executing this statement."

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi MDRiggs, thank you for the information. I believe the error you’re seeing is due to a security policy in MySQL Server – possibly due to an expired password. You can reset the user passwords by running MySQL Workbench on the computer where the server was installed. Password are specified on the “Users and Privileges” page. Make sure to click the “Apply” button after updating the password for each user. Also, in each VueMinder installation, enter the updated password.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Did all that, and now all computers pass the connection test. I forced syncs on the two client computers and picked up an entry or two that had been missing, but multiple others didn't come across. Strange how this works fine for months and then blows up. Anyhow, let me know the next move.

Also, a question about MySQL Workbench: There's an option for default_password_lifetime that I had unchecked in the hope of preventing passwords from expiring. Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding the function? I tried checking it and entering a really long interval (5,000 days), but all I got from that was an error message.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi MDRiggs, thank you for the information. It’s possible un-sharing and re-sharing the calendar will fix the problem. To un-share a calendar, open the Calendar Properties on the computer that “owns” the shared calendar. Uncheck the “Share this calendar” box on the Sync tab and click OK. Wait a few seconds for the change to propagate, and then re-enable sharing by re-checking the “Share this calendar” box. After performing these steps, all the events in the calendar should upload to the server and appear on other computers.

Regarding the default_password_lifetime option in MySQL Server, it seems like having that option unchecked should have prevented the password from expiring. You might try the MySQL Server forums. Maybe someone else has encountered this issue and knows how to fix it.
https://forums.mysql.com/
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Took a couple of tries, but that seems to have done it. Thanks again.