Differences on recurring patterns between events and tasks

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Jose Nunes

Differences on recurring patterns between events and tasks

Post by Jose Nunes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:50 am

I decided to try VueMinder and it is a very complete organizer but I see differences in the recurring patterns available for events and tasks that I don't understand.

For example I want to define a task that repeats every week at Tuesday and Thursday. I don't have this kind of recurrence for tasks only for Events.

Why these differences? Usually software that have tasks and events (or appointments) do have the same options for repeats whatever type I want to use.

Regards

Jose Nunes

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Differences on recurring patterns between events and tas

Post by VueSoft » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi Jose, welcome to the forums. Tasks and events in VueMinder are treated differently. Tasks have a simplified mechanism for repeating, which can be based on when a task was originally due, or when it was actually completed. This prevents the calendar from getting cluttered with many instances of the same recurring task, since only the next instance is shown. Also, because an instance of a recurring task may or may not be completed when it was due, the due date of the next instance can be dynamically calculated when the current instance is completed.

If VueMinder's notion of how repeating tasks work doesn't match how you work with tasks, you could do this with events instead. Events can be marked as being completed, they have reminders, and many of the other fields provided by tasks. If you're using the Ultimate version, you can also customize events to add additional fields that might be more related to tasks, such as "Status" or "Percent Complete". Custom fields can be added using the "Tools -> Custom Fields" menu command.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Jose Nunes

Post by Jose Nunes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 am

That was just what I intended to do. Change from tasks to events. They are much more flexible and adapted to my needs. But now an issue came up: Can I convert the tasks to events? Or do I have to repeat everything from scratch?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:16 pm

You can convert tasks to events. To convert a task, right-click the task and select an event calendar from the "Assign to Calendar" submenu. Please see the section titled "Convert Between Events, Tasks, and Notes" on the page linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/blog/post/what ... provements
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA