Installing Version 2019.01

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
GoingNow

Installing Version 2019.01

Post by GoingNow » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:11 am

When I tried to install the new version from the VueMinder Updater I got "VueMinder Pro Setup" "The System cannot open the device or file specified".

After I click "Cancel" it gives error code 2755. "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package".

I have tried downloading the installation program and running it as administrator. I have made sure that VueMinder Pro was not running when I tried to install it. Nothing worked.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Installing Version 2019.01

Post by VueSoft » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 am

Hi GoingNow, I apologize for the problem. Have you tried using the Control Panel to uninstall the previous version, before installing the latest version?

If you get the same error when attempting to uninstall the previous version, Microsoft created a tool to clean up these types of problems. The tool can be downloaded using the link below. You should be able to use this tool to uninstall the previous version of VueMinder. This won’t remove any calendar data.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Progr ... _Uninstall

After uninstalling the previous version, you should be able to install the latest version. Please let me know if that doesn't work or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GoingNow

Post by GoingNow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Now I have the same problem (again) with the latest version (2019.03) This time I have tried everything you suggested and nothing works. The really strange thing is - I have a copy of the 2019.01 installer and that installs without a problem. It then wants to update and the update fails with error 2755. Uninstalling doesn't work. The Microsoft fixer tool doesn't work. The other fixes on the web for error 2755 doesn't work. Nothing.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi GoingNow, is your antivirus software interfering with the latest installer? It sometimes takes a few days for antivirus programs to catch up, and they assume anything new is automatically a virus. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software before running the installer.

Does that fix it? If not, I don't know what else would be causing the problem. I haven't been able to replicate this on any of my test computers, and nothing has changed related to how the installer is created
Dan Chartrand, Founder

GoingNow

Post by GoingNow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm using Kaspersky free. When I disable it I still get the same error.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Thank you for the information. I'm not sure what else would cause the problem. I'll investigate further.

Do either of these links work for installing the new version?
https://www.vueminder.com/download/VueM ... _Setup.exe
https://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMinderLatest.msi
Dan Chartrand, Founder

GoingNow

Post by GoingNow » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 am

Hooray! The msi file worked perfectly. Problem solved THANK YOU.

GoingNow

Post by GoingNow » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:12 pm

I have now finally found what is the actual problem. I have put my temp folders into a RAM disk using Primo Ramdisk Ultimate Edition. When I change the environment variables "TEMP" and "TMP" to a temp folder on a normal hard drive and reboot to apply those settings, I can install the update through the normal VueMinder Pro update notice.

Otherwise I have to use the msi file that previously worked. Thanks for all your efforts with VueMinder Pro - it runs my whole life.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Thank you for the information. The VueMinder installer uses the standard Windows installer mechanism, where Windows copies the installer to a temp folder. That version of the installer is required if you ever want to uninstall or update, and Windows will look for the installer in the temp folder. I think it's a stupid design to put installers in a temp folder, but that's just how Windows does it. If it were up to me, I'd change how this is designed so installers get copied to a dedicated folder that isn't considered temporary.

In any case, to fix this you'd need to make your RAM disk persistent. I'm not sure if that's something Primo Ramdisk can do, but others (like Softperfect Ramdisk) provide this capability. The page linked below provides more info:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e=2&auth=1
Dan Chartrand, Founder

GoingNow

Post by GoingNow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 am

I don't think anything that will be needed should be put into a temp folder. It's right there in the name "TEMP". It's like storing important files in the recycle bin.

However, I don't think your explanation hits the problem on the nose. Look at this sequence of events:-

I attempt to update VueMinder Pro with the latest update with my TEMP folder set to ramdisk. Update fails, repeatedly. However I can update using the link https://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMinderLatest.msi to a msi file.

I reset my TEMP folder to one on the hard drive (and have to reboot to make the environment variables work) and the update works perfectly. However the TEMP folder on the hard disk is empty before I start using it. No installer file exists in that TEMP folder, yet the update works.

So making my ramdisk persistent will not help anything. I am not rebooting at all when I am attempting to update in the first scenario I related there, So the persistence is not necessary, nor is the installer in the TEMP folder.

Here is another scenario. I uninstall VueMinder Pro. With the TEMP folder set to the ramdisk I attempt to install VueMinder Pro. It fails with the same error as already stated. There has been no reboot, No deleting of files in the TEMP folder. Yet it fails. If I set the TEMP folder to a hard drive, it then succeeds. The TEMP folder on the hard drive was totally empty before I reset the environment variable.