Who’s on First … a tale of 3 computers and 2 calendars

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
chota300

Who’s on First … a tale of 3 computers and 2 calendars

Post by chota300 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:25 pm

With my router shut down, I restored each calendar on it's proper new computer, to the last point before the problems.
I based the choice of backups to just before the drops in event counts.
Both computers displayed both calendars as expected.
( See original report below ... each computer owns 1 calendar and shares 1 other. )
I also created a new test event in Calendar A on Desktop C.
Then I powered up the router, with Laptop B still not connected to any network.
Briefly, the sync seemed to work.
The test event propagated to Calendar A on Laptop D.
But then Calendar B disappeared again from both computers.

I still do not understand what may be happening.
Please advise when possible.

Thank you.

=================================================================================================
Here is the original problem history ...

Who’s on First … a tale of 3 computers and 2 calendars …

In a bygone era – 2019 – I had 2 Windows 7 computers running Vueminder Pro syncing 2 distinct calendars on a home network via MySQL. Life was good.

Then with the dawn of 2020, Uncle Bill decided to stop fixing Windows 7 and force me to buy Windows 10. Since my router and desktop pc were showing hardware problems and my laptop was simply old and slow, I bought a new laptop, desktop, and router.
Network X became Network Y.
Win7 Desktop A with MySQL, MySQL User A and it’s own Calendar A was replaced with Win10 Desktop C, and thanks to Vueminder backups Calendar A was restored to it’s latest state on Desktop C.
Similarly, Win7 wireless Laptop B with MySQL User B and it’s own Calendar B was replaced with Win10 wireless Laptop D, and again thanks to Vueminder backups Calendar B was restored to it’s latest state on Laptop D.
Vueminder Pro configuration updates were applied on Desktop C and Laptop D to account for the new network name and computer names. Calendars were once again syncing and once again life was good.

Booming with confidence over this successful transition, I felt sorry for good old Laptop B. Like many of us senior citizens, it was old and slow, and isolated on no-longer-existing Network X. But like me it was still somewhat useful, not actually dead and buried.

Hoping to now use old Laptop B as a read-only site to view both Calendar A and Calendar B …
While still isolated on Network X, I deleted old Calendar B from Laptop B ( since that calendar now resides on Laptop D ). I left shared Calendar A in place, since it’s home was on Desktop A – now Desktop C.
Then I applied network and MySQL changes on old Laptop B, allowing it to join the new Network Y and sync with Calendar A ( now on Desktop C ). “Test Connection” was successful. Wow, life was looking good. Then I walked away for a while to allow sync to recover Calendar A after about 3 months of disconnect.

Unfortunately, here my memory of the exact sequence of the following few events became fuzzy …

I returned to Laptop D and noticed that I had an obsolete, useless test calendar remaining. I deleted that obsolete calendar - rechecking the name as I confirmed to delete. Instead of deleting the obsolete calendar, Calendar B was deleted and the obsolete calendar remained.
I returned to Desktop C only to find that Calendar B has disappeared there also.
But on old Laptop B, both Calendar A and Calendar B were still present.
I am unclear on exactly when Calendar B disappeared from Desktop C – when the sync of Laptop B completed or when I deleted the old calendar from Laptop D. In any case, Calendar B remained on old Laptop B.

Now to the present …
Hoping to resolve these problems on my own, and not knowing the source of the problems, I disabled Network Y on old Laptop B, to prevent that sync from executing and possibly re-introducing any problems.
Returning to Desktop C, I used Restore Data to revert the calendar(s) to the state just before the loss of Calendar B. I noticed a drop of about 200 events in the backup list, so I chose the backup just prior to that drop. I suspect that drop in event count was due to the loss of Calendar B.
Briefly, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Both Calendar A and Calendar B were again on Desktop C. But only briefly ... after a few seconds, Calendar B disappeared again.

Looking forward …
I still hope to restore Calendar B to it’s home on Laptop D, and share it on Desktop C. And then I hope to share both Calendar A and Calendar B on good old Laptop B.
To avoid timing problems, I think my best path forward is to disable my router wifi entirely, Restore Data on both Desktop C and Laptop D to a point just prior to the problems, re-enable router wifi to allow sync to work itself out, and then perform manual VM backups on both Desktop C and Laptop D.
Then, since I do not know if old Laptop B now thinks it still owns Calendar B, with Laptop B network still disabled, I think I should delete both Calendar A and Calendar B on Laptop B. Then on Laptop B, I should re-enable it’s network access and share both Calendar A and Calendar B from across Network Y.

That is where life stands at the moment. I do not believe that I deleted Calendar B, but I know of no way to prove or disprove that action.
Please advise me as to if you approve of my path forward or if you have a better alternative. And please confirm that I can actually use old Laptop B as described.
If this is too complex to resolve in this manner, please tell if there is a way we can discuss this issue on the phone, without revealing private phone numbers to the general public.

Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Who’s on First … a tale of 3 computers and 2 calendars

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 pm

A calendar should only get removed from computers that sync with MySQL Server if the calendar was intentionally deleted at some point. There's a transaction in the database informing VueMinder the calendar was deleted and that it should be removed from other computers. VueMinder will only remove the calendar if that transaction is present.

To fix the problem, please try these steps:

1. Disconnect from the network or stop MySQL Server from running.
2. Restore from a backup that contains the calendar that is getting deleted.
3. Export the calendar to an iCalendar file by using the "File -> Export -> Export Events" menu command.
4. Re-connect to the network or start MySQL Server.
5. The calendar should spontaneously disappear because the database is telling VueMinder the calendar was deleted on purpose at some point.
6. After the calendar disappears, import using the "File -> Import -> Import Events" menu command. Import to a new calendar.
7. After importing, open the Calendar Properties of the newly imported calendar.
8. On the "Sync" tab, check the box for sharing with other computers. The imported calendar should then appear on your other computers and should no longer disappear.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

chota300

Post by chota300 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 pm

Excellent instructions so far ... straightforward, easy, and fast.
( I also appreciate that the export directory defaulted to my custom backup directory. )

But before I shoot myself in the foot yet again ...

Both calendars are still on old Laptop B, the original home of Calendar B.
( I performed a restore on that laptop while it was offline so that I could see at least an old version of both calendars. )
Old Laptop B is now on the same new network with both new computers.
MySQL is still stopped on Desktop C.
I think that I should delete Calendar B on old Laptop B before I restart MySQL.
( I suspect deleting Calendar B from it's original home triggered my problems. )

Then I think I should resume your instructions to import and share disappearing Calendar B per your previous instructions.

But I would still like to then share Calendar B on Laptop B, pointing to it's new home on Laptop D.

My concern is the calendar names I should now use.
I do not know if the original name for Calendar B ( which was the same on Labtop B and Desktop A ),
needs to change on Laptop B to avoid phantom "delete" commands.
If I keep the original Calendar B name, even though it's home is no longer on Laptop B, will I have problems again?
Or maybe it is a better plan overall to now call them Shared A and Shared B on old Laptop B.
A better plan???

Please advise.
Hope you and yours are all well.
Thank you,
John

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:40 pm

You can name the shared calendar anything you'd like. The database tracks which calendars were deleted based on a unique identifier which isn't visible or editable by the user. When you follow the steps I provided, a new unique identifier will be created for the imported calendar. Renaming the calendar won't change the unique identifier.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

chota300

Post by chota300 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:45 pm

It appears that all calendars are now restored and working properly.
I do not understand just how it all worked so magically, but after I imported the lost calendar to an new calendar name on Laptop D and shared it on my LAN, after a few minutes it appeared under the new name on both Desktop C and old Laptop B.
Thank you again for all your detailed - and accurate - help.
Sorry I shot myself in the foot; I still do not know what I did wrong to start this mess.
Stay well.
John