Not saving calendar entries/changes or window layout

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Lozz

Not saving calendar entries/changes or window layout

Post by Lozz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:45 am

Hello,
I have a problem with Vueminder (older version) that started after the recent Windows update (I think Thursday 14 Jan 21); though I don't know if it is connected or just coincidence.

Versions:
Vueminder 2019.01

There are actually two issues that have the same source.
The first is, whenever I start Vueminder it reverts to the standard window layout. I usually have the layout set up to suit my workflow (e.g. Month calendar at the top and the Tasks in the bottom pane). After this problem happened the first time, I saved the layout and can re-load it; but I have to do this every time I start Vueminder.
The second issue relates to any changes I make to events or tasks etc. All changes (e.g. new event, change status etc.) work during the session, but once I close the program and re-open it, those changes will disappear. In other words it doesn't seem to save them. If I do a manual "Back up data" it seems to retain the changes (though I am not absolutely sure as I haven't had time to test it thoroughly).

I realise this may be a issue to do with the fact I am using an old version and so may need to be updated, but if there is a fix for the version I have it would be great as it does every thing I need.

Thanks in advance

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Not saving calendar entries/changes or window layout

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi Lozz, welcome to the forums. Both problems you describe sound like they're caused by VueMinder being unable to write/save to the specified data folder. Please click the "Options -> Program" menu command and change the value of the "Data folder" field to a location where you know your account has write access, such as under "Documents" or a folder on your desktop. Does that fix the problem?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Lozz

Post by Lozz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:52 pm

Thanks Dan.

Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. When I changed the destination folder to the standard "Documents", and then restarted VM the same problems occurred, but strangely, the destination folder had reverted to the one I was using before (not "Documents"). I also tried saving to a folder on the Desktop with the same result.
I tried the same process again, but this time I did a manual "Back up data" before closing VM - unfortunately this also failed to save the new destination folder.

Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi Lozz, that's really strange. It could be an installation problem, or maybe something corrupted in the settings file. You can use the utility linked below to completely reset the data and settings. Make sure to exit VueMinder by using the "File -> Exit" menu command before running this utility.
https://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

After resetting the data and restarting VueMinder, use the “Restore Data” command on the File menu to restore from a backup. If you still see the problem after resetting the data, maybe reinstalling or updating to the latest version will fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Lozz

Post by Lozz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks for the link and the help.

Resetting the data didn't fix the issue either. I cannot find my original installation file (to re-install), but, especially as it happened directly after the Windows update, I am thinking I will have to update VM to the latest version. But that is for tomorrow as it's 1am here.

Thanks again for all your help.