Re-ocurring events change day and time with Google Sync

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
RichS

Re-ocurring events change day and time with Google Sync

Post by RichS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:46 pm

I have your Pro version (7.4.3) of the VueMinder software and I have two computers (laptop and desktop) running Win7, plus an Iphone which I want to sync up to my Google Calenders.

I have the desktop synced with Google Sync, and the laptop as well. The Iphone is just connected directly to Google Calender. I have 3 calenders all syncing, but I am having issues....

1) If I just create a single event it syncs from whichever computer I used, to Google Calender, which then syncs it to the other computer and Iphone, without an issue.

But if I create a series at Tues and Thurs 6:30-9:30pm, it syncs with Google Calendar, but on Google it shows as Mon and Wed 5:30-8:30pm. Which then updates my iphone and other computer as Mon and Wed at 5:30-8:30pm. And then since it's 2-way updating, it goes back to my original computer and changes that to Mon and Wed at 5:30-8:30pm. It's very frustrating.

However, if I set the series from Google Calendar, it display the proper dates and times and syncs them all correctly.

2) Is there anyway to sync tasks and notes between my laptop and desktop? I don't see any syncing options.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Re-ocurring events change day and time with Google Sync

Post by VueSoft » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi RichS, welcome to the forums. It sounds like maybe your timezone in Windows is not set to the same one specified in the Google Calendar settings. Have you checked if Windows and Google Calendar are using the same timezone? The Google Calendar timezone can be selected using the "Settings" link in the upper-right corner of the page. This could possible be a difference related to Daylight Savings Time as well.

That's just a guess. I tried replicating the problem, using different timezones on Windows vs. Google Calendar, but it worked correctly for me. Maybe it's because I'm not testing with the same timezones you're using. What timezone are you using in Windows, and what timezone is your Google Calendar set to? I'll try those to see if I can repeat the problem.

Also, do you have any Google Labs stuff enabled in Google Calendar? I've had reports of Google Labs stuff causing weird things to happen when syncing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

RichS

Post by RichS » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I double checked my timezones on both of my comps plus Google Calendar and they were all set to Pacific timezone. But, the Google Labs suggestion might be the reason. I had "Dim Reoccurring Events" enabled. Once I disabled it, the date and times appears to be correct so far. That seems to explain why it only happened to reoccurring events, too.

I'll reply back in a few days if this didn't solve the issue.

Thanks,

Rich

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Dan,

I'm reviving an old thread, but i'm having this exact same problem with the latest build of VuemInder Calendar Pro (8.1.0), Windows 7 64-bit, my Google Calendar, and two Android devices (one is running 1.6 the other 2.2). My timezone is PST and I've confirmed that my computer, Vueminder, GMail, my Google Calendar and both of my Android devices are set to PST as well.

This is really frustrating! I have sync set to one-way (Vueminder to Google Calendar) and sync two Vueminder calendars (NB this only affects one of the two calendars - the one affected contains a mix of recurring and one time only events). I've ensured that none of the Google Labs features are enabled and can confirm that this affects only recurring events. There's no rhyme nor reason to this, either: I have some events set to recur at the same time on Mondays and Wednesdays. They show correctly in Vueminder but in Google Calendar they are shifted to the correct time on Sunday and Tuesday. I have other events that recur at the same time one day a week they shift FORWARD, so an event that is set for Wednesdays at 5:30 PM displays in my Google calendar on Thursdays at 5:30 PM. If I click on edit detaisl for the event in Google Calendar, the day and time are correct. And this is not consistent, some weeks all recurring events shift like this, other weeks some will but others will display correctly. I've even got an event that doesn't appear at all in Vueminder (because I deleted it a week ago) that is showing up, on the wrong day, in Google.

This is an issue that keeps coming back: I have deleted the Vueminder calendars from Google and the "re-shared" them. Everything looks great for a few minutes and then it all shifts... I am not sure if the shift occurs after the Android devices sync with Google calendar or not. I think not, though, because I just re-syned my calendars with both Android devices in deep sleep mode and the shift is retained.

OK: Random idea. This affects my work appointment calendar. The only reason I use google calendar at all is to sync Vueminder to my Android devices so that I can track my work schedule. My work schedule involves meeting with clients and we agree to the schedule each week. However, invariably there are exceptions and I modify the affected dates and times ("Open this occurrence") accordingly. I wonder if this is part of the problem - each month when I change the end date for the recurrence (if nothing changes I extend it by a month), the exceptions are retatined -one of the great features of Vueminder over Outlook, which resets the exceptions, which is problematic because I use the calendar to keep track of my work hours. I'm checking this now (I've just deleted the two calendars in Google calendar) but must reboot my computer to re-share the calendars. I'll post back soon.

Sorry for the length of this post... :oops:

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:26 am

OK, I've gone through the steps to first remove Vueminder calendars from Google Calendar, remove the sync within VuemInder and resync everything. My anroid devices have been powered off throughout this process (and remain so). The disjunction was immediate and actually affects both calendars. In fact, on one calendar the event is to repeat on Tuesdays and Thursdays but synced on Mondays-Thurdays with the event appearing once on M-W and TWICE on T-Th...

Here's a shot of Vueminder for this week - all is correct:
26-01-2011 7-14-09 AM-137x100.png
And here is a shot of Google calendar:
26-01-2011 7-11-00 AM-220x100.png

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 am

How can I insert graphics that are legible?! I reduced the screenshots to conform to the size stipulated but they're too small to be of any use?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Darwin, thanks for letting me know about the problem. I've investigated the problem, and it appears to be a bug in Google Calendar. :shock:

In my testing, I'm only seeing it happen in recurring events that start after 6:00 PM (1800). My timezone is GMT-6:00, so this might be a problem with how Google Calendar is handling recurring events and timezones. It seems to work correctly if the events are created on Google Calendar, but not if they're created in VueMinder and then synced to Google Calendar.

For example, I created a recurring event starting at 6:30 PM on and occurring every Tuesday and Thursday. Here's how it's defined in VueMinder:

And here's how it shows up in Google Calendar after syncing. Obviously, something isn't right here. It appears correctly on the first date, but not subsequent ones.

My first thought was that VueMinder must not be sending the recurring event correctly to Google Calendar. I opened the event details, expecting to see the recurrence pattern was incorrectly set by VueMinder as being Monday and Wednesday. But, lo and behold, it says Tuesday and Thursday, just like it should:

So, my next thought was that maybe VueMinder isn't setting the correct timezone in the recurring event when its sent to Google Calendar. The Google Calendar API is a complete mess when dealing with recurring events, and each recurring event needs to have a timezone and other information specified. It could be an easy thing to get wrong. But again, it looks like VueMinder is sending the correct data:

I believe what we have here is a Google Calendar bug or a discrepency in how their API documents the handling of recurring events. I'm going to see if I can find a way to trick Google Calendar into showing the events on the correct dates, although I'm not sure if that's even possible because the events ARE showing at the correct times, and the way VueMinder is currently sending recurring event data appears to be correct - it's just that Google Calendar isn't showing the events on the proper dates.

Also, in the course of testing, I also discovered 1-way VueMinder Calendar to Google Calendar syncing of recurring events sometimes generated duplicates in Google Calendar (but not VueMinder). I'll work on fixing that as well, assuming it's not another Google Calendar bug.

P.S. I've removed the size limit on images. If you still have trouble inserting larger images, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, Dan :)

Hopefully Google will sort this out. FWIW, I'd be happy to beta test any tricks that you want to try to fool Google into displaying these events properly.

Cheers!

Mike

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Mike, I think I've found what was causing this. In Google Calendar, click the drop-down arrow next to the calendar name that you're syncing. From the menu, select "Calendar settings". In the settings screen, double-check that your time zone is correct. My guess is that it will say GMT+00:00. Pick the correct time zone, and then I believe new events created in VueMinder will start appearing in the correct date/time on Google Calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:48 pm

A correction has been made for the next version when adding an existing calendar in VueMinder to Google Calendar. Instead of the time zone defaulting to GMT+0, it will be initialized based on the time zone specified in your primary Google Calendar. This will eliminate the need to manually fix the time zone in the Google Calendar settings.
Dan Chartrand, Founder