problem sending e-mail reminders

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
riftforce

problem sending e-mail reminders

Post by riftforce » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:42 pm

I am using version 7.4.3 of the calendar program. Over the last week, I started getting a new error when I try to e-mail reminders of different events:

"An error occurred while attempting to send an email reminder for event 'event name':
The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.8m2899843iba.10"

I have made no changes to the e-mail settings prior to this error starting. Up to this point, all my e-mail reminders were working like a dream. At first, I thought this error was because I had lost my wireless connection to my network, but the error continues, even though a connection is established well before the calendar even boots up.

I would also like to suggest a feature for the program that I would like to see. After the calendar program sends an e-mail on my behalf, it does not put that e-mail in my sent items. I would like to see the e-mails put into my sent mail items so I can track who reminders were sent to, something to reference down the road, and I prefer to know what e-mails were sent on my behalf, even if I'm the one that set up the event on the calendar.

Thank you

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: problem sending e-mail reminders

Post by VueSoft » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 am

My guess is that a configuration change was made on your mail server, causing your current email settings to no longer work. Please try checking the "Use SSL" box in your email settings, and then click the "Send a Test Email" button. Does having the SSL box checked allow the email to be sent? Note, you might also need to change the port number, since SSL ususally happens on port 465.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

riftforce

Post by riftforce » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Somewhere along the line, the use SSL button had become unchecked. The port is actually working with the Use SSL button checked and port 587, so definitely making a screenshot and filing it with the rest of my configuration settings. Thank you.

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I am also having problems sending emails.
When i try a test email i get the message as shown below,
An error occurred while attempting to send a test email,syntax error, command unregcognised,the server response was ????

I have removed and replaced the tick in the ssl box,i have also changed the port from 25 to 465 both with no luck.

I am having to rely on the desktop pop up at the moment.
Using version 7.4.3
Please advise or help.

I have noticed that in my email account settings "outlook express" it reads the following,
incoming mail "pop 3" 995
outgoing mail "smtp" 465
Does that help you.

ipbr21054

Post by ipbr21054 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Ok,i have now managed to get it to work after playing with it for 30 minutes.
Not sure what i done but it works fine now.

One thing i would like to ask is once i select the priority to HIGH in the event i do not get any kind of warning etc that the event is HIGH priority ?

I thought that when you receive the email reminder the red high priority icon would be shown once the email is in your intray ? if not would it be a good thing to make it happen as otherwise why select it to high priority and receive no notification of it being HIGH.

Obviously if i have missunderstood what is supposed to happen please explain "once again" :oops:

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm glad to hear the email reminders are working again.

Regarding a high-priority flag on email sent for events/tasks that are set to high priority - the software currently doesn't do this. To be honest, it never occurred to me to associate the event/task priority with the reminder email priority, but I think it makes perfect sense. I'll put this improvement in the next version and will let you know when it's ready.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:39 am

Email reminders have been improved to show a low or high priority flag, depending on the associated event or task priority level. This improvement will be in the next version (7.5.0). If you'd like an early look, a beta is available here.
Dan Chartrand, Founder