Manual Sync with Outlook?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
allenk23

Manual Sync with Outlook?

Post by allenk23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi Dan!

Is there a way to sync a calendar(s) in VueMinder manually and not by setting it to sync Automatically every N hours?

I have a Droid X smart phone. I very successfully setup synchronization for several selected VueMinder calendars with Outlook 2010. I then installed the trial version of the Android software allowing me to synch my Outlook 2010 Calendar (which all comes from my VueMinder calendars) with my Droid X.

Here's the problem. It seems the only way to handle sync'ing between VueMinder and Outlook is by setting an Automatic time period. I have 2 Outlook profiles -- 1 for me, 1 for my wife. Every 15 minutes or hour or other time period, VueMinder attempts to synch. If Outlook is not running, it tries to open it. In my case, since there's 2 profiles, it stops and prompts. The problem here is that I am at work all day long. If my wife is home (most of the time now), then if she uses the computer for other work, she is hounded by Oulook prompting for a profile which in turn is being forced open by VueMinder. If I turn off the Auto Sync, it turns off all sync'ing and defeats the purpose.

I would prefer to NOT have it automatically synch, but rather be setup to Sync once I come home and press F5 or select a menu item or press a button.

Make sense? Anyway to do the above but without automatically synch'ing?

Thanks,
Allen K.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Manual Sync with Outlook?

Post by VueSoft » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Allen, currently there's no way to make the calendar sync manually instead of automatically. I'll see if this is something I can improve.

In the meantime, you could disable Outlook sync and use the Import/Export commands to manually accomplish the same thing as an automatic sync. I realize this is more work than pressing F5, so I'll let you know when this is improved.

Thank you for the suggestion, and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

allenk23

Post by allenk23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi again Dan. Thanks for replying so quickly. If this is something you can look at -- somehow allowing the Outlook Sync to accept a switch away from Automatic and to a Manual one -- that would be great. The problem with disabling the Outlook Sync, unless I'm missing something, is that I have roughly 7 VueMinder calendars that I'm sync'ing with Outlook. Turning the all off, then back on when needed, is a pain.

In the meantime, and I haven't tried this yet but it should work, I will completely exit VueMinder when not at home. Not just minimize it, but exit. That way, it shouldn't call for Outlook. That way, no worries about Outlook trying to start because VueMinder is attempting a synch. When I come home, I'll start VueMinder and allow it to synch.

Thanks again,
Allen K.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 am

An option to only sync Outlook manually has been incorportated into the next version. If you'd like an early look, the beta can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=418
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Version 8.1.0 has been officially released. To update, select the "Check for Updates" command in the Help menu. You can also download it here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=download-pro
Dan Chartrand, Founder