Shared calendar shows different data on 2 computers

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
joljol2

Shared calendar shows different data on 2 computers

Post by joljol2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:21 pm

I skipped a couple of updates on one of 2 computers. Now both are at 8.1.1

Only 1 calendar, on the Laptop, is shared to the Desktop.

A new Event was added to the Laptop today. I don't see it on the Desktop - just the previous data of many Events over several months.
(and a calendar unique to the Desktop)

How to get both computers back to seeing only the current calendar on the Laptop?
Desktop will still need to see it's own calendar, also.

Thanks,

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Shared calendar shows different data on 2 computers

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Have you double-checked to ensure both computers are looking in the same shared calendar folder? The folder is specified in the Program Options window.

If that doesn't explain it, then it's possible something went wrong in the shared database due to previously running with different versions. Please try this:

1. On the laptop, go to the Program Options and specify a new (fresh) folder for sharing.

2. The program will restart. After it restarts, share the calendar again, via the "Sharing" tab in the Calendar Properties window.

3. Go to the desktop and select the new shared folder from the Program Options.

4. After the program restarts, delete the previous version of the shared calendar from the calendar list on your desktop computer, and then re-add the calendar using the "Add Shared Calendar From Local Network" command on the File menu.

5. The calendar will sync in the background within about 30 seconds. It should show all events, including recently added ones.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if it still doesn't work after doing this, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

joljol2

Post by joljol2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:24 am

shareProblem.jpg
shareProblem.jpg (107.08 KiB) Viewed 16583 times
I followed your numbered steps. Completed 2 on the laptop, made sure the folder is shared to Everyone.

Attached snip shows new shared folder is visible on the Desktop.

Deleting the previous version of the shared calendar did not seem to work on the Desktop. Is the Reminder holding it open?

The new shared calendar is not listed, not available to be added.

Please advise,

Joe

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi Joe, if possible could you send the SharedCalendars.mdb database to support@vueminder.com? I'll take a look at the permissions and will let you know if I find any problems.

If database sharing won't work on your network, and alternative would be to use a publish+subscribe approach. In the Calendar Properties window, go to the Publish tab. You can specify a file location on your local computer or network. Click the “…” button on the right-side of the publish location text field, and then browse for a location for the shared calendar. This should be in a folder both computers can access. Type in a file name and then click “Save”.

Next, click the “Publish Now” button to generate the ICS file. Copy the path and then go to the “Subscribe” tab. Enable a subscription and paste the path. Repeat on your other computer. As long as both computers aren’t trying to update the ICS file simultaneously, this approach to sharing should work.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

joljol2

Post by joljol2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Still trying to get VM to work normally over my LAN.

Now the error message comes as in the pic attached
dbError.jpg
dbError.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 16559 times

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:35 am

Hi joljol2, could you try installing the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine? See this link for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114

Please let me know if that doesn't fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

joljol2

Post by joljol2 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 am

Hi Dan,
There seem to be 2 different SP8 Jet installs. One for NT, another for Millenium Edition.
I'm running Win 7 Pro OS on this computer.

Which to choose?

Thanks,

joljol2

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 am

Nevermind about the Jet install. You should have the latest version as part of Windows 7. A new beta is available that might (or might not) fix the problem. If you'd like to try it, you can download here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... 445&p=1771

I hope that fixes it.
:?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

joljol2

Post by joljol2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 pm

The Beta5 update did not magic-like cure my LAN calendar sharing problems.

Calendar now published on Laptop and subscribed to on Desktop. This seems to be working well! Thanks.

In the process I found that setting the sharing for the Laptops c:\Folder that the .ics calendar was going to be sent to had to be turned on manually. It is currently set to full access, R/W, not just Read.

Perhaps network sharing would now ALSO work via that folder - but I'm reluctant to experimentally alter what is working.

Thanks again,

joljol2

joljol2

Post by joljol2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:19 pm

I gained courage to convert from the published calendar method to the shared calendar method on 8.1.2 .

So far it works. I've not evaluated how fast changes are synched up yet.

FYI I experimented by pulling in a public calendar on the Laptop. Made it a shared calendar on the LAN. Was able to add it on the Desktop as a shared calendar. That suggested I could do the same with the valuable data on the Laptop calendar.

Thanks,

joljol2