File Attachments

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
tradition

File Attachments

Post by tradition » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 am

A user attaches a file form their PC to an event. The rest of the users cannot see the file from their respective computer. Am I doing something wrong when I attach a file....or is there a way to get instructions as to how to do it properly?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: File Attachments

Post by VueSoft » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi tradition, welcome to the forums.

When a file is "attached", it's actually being linked. This keeps the size of the VueMinder data file small. Also, if changes are made to the file after it has been attached, those changes will be seen when opening the attachment.

If you're sharing calendars over a local network, you can work around this by copying or moving the file to the server or shared folder prior to attaching the file. This will ensure other users on the network will be able to also open the linked attachment.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

tradition

Post by tradition » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:20 pm

I cannot get it to work. I have shared the "My Documents" folder on the host machine as well as copied the file to not only that shared folder, but also the shared folder named CALENDAR. This is the folder that contains the Access database. Neither works. I can see the document when I am on the local machine, but cannot see the file from any other computer on the local network. I also created a dummy file, put it in both places and then shared the calendar to the local network. I went to other machines and can't see the dummy file either.

I cannot find any documentation in any of the help categories that tells me how to attach a file for everyone to see. We are a restaurant and banquet facility at a public golf course. I need to see the details for a tournament and Banquet event order so that we don't miss details for that event. Dan, so far we love the program, but are trying to make sure we understand the idiosyncrasies before we roll it out to the rest of the staff. This problem is a major step in decision to purchase the product. Please help.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:02 am

Hi tradition, I apologize for the problem. This looks like a bug. I'll work on fixing it in the next version.

In the meantime, you can drag-and-drop a file from the network into the "Description" tab of the Event Editor window. This will insert a link to the document that can be opened on other computers.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 14, 2011 12:57 am

This has been corrected for 8.2. A beta is available here, if you'd like an early look.
Dan Chartrand, Founder