Data sync and data loss problems

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ericrep

Data sync and data loss problems

Post by ericrep » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Using version 8.1.3 with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have two desktop computers (office and kitchen) and five calendars, all shared with the database on an external network drive. I created all five calendars from the office computer, but one calendar is currently owned by the kitchen computer because of a bug from an earlier version that I believe you've fixed. I just haven't taken the time to follow the steps you gave for changing the owner back.

Now I'm having increasing problems with my data not syncing between the computers. Today I created 1 new test event in each calendar from the kitchen computer. None of those events are showing on the office computer. I also created 1 new test event in each calendar from the office computer. Only 2 of those events are showing on the kitchen computer.

Yesterday my wife edited a real multi-day event from the kitchen computer. The change did not show on the office computer. Worse, that change has now disappeared from the kitchen computer...although the original unedited event is still there.

On both computers I have VueMinder set to start when Windows starts. While trying to get the test events to sync, I exited and restarted VueMinder on both computers and also restarted Windows on the office computer.

I also have a laptop which I only use occasionally but which I sync before I use. I've had trouble for quite awhile with changes made on the laptop while it is away from our network not syncing back to the network...so I've stopped trying to do that. As I was typing this, I turned the laptop on to see how it would do with syncing from the network. Of the 5 test events created from the kitchen computer, none are showing on the laptop. Of the 5 test events created from the office computer, only 2 are showing on the laptop. And the mulit-day event that my wife edited from the kitchen computer is not showing at all on the laptop.

This problem is bad and seems to be getting worse. I hope you can help.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Data sync and data loss problems

Post by VueSoft » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi ericrep, the first thing to check would be if all your computers are set to the same clock time, within a few seconds. If they are set to different times, syncing might be affected. I'm also working on improvements in the next version which will make syncing more reliable. I'll let you know when an update is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Dan -

All three computers are running Windows 7. I checked and all three appeared to be set to the same clock time. Just to make sure, I synchronized all of them with the time.windows.com time server. That didn't help. New events entered in any calendar from the kitchen computer do not show on the office computer. And new events entered from the office computer only occasionally show on the kitchen computer.

I'm also having problems when I try to change events. Early last week, from the office computer, I added a meeting for Fri Apr 15. A couple days later, I edited the event...I changed the date from Fri to Mon Apr 18 and changed the start time from 12:00 to 12:30. But every time I restarted the calendar, the event was back on Fri at the original time. This was all on the office computer...the event never showed on the kitchen computer.

And, as others have reported, the calendar frequently uses a lot of memory. Right now, it's at about 100,000K while open but last night it was over 1,400,000K while minimized and using most of one of my CPU threads.

Is there anything else I can try while I'm waiting for the next version? The data problems are making the VueMinder just about unusable on a single computer, let alone on a network.

Thanks,
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi Eric, thanks for the information. I'll let you know when an update is available. In the meantime, you might try syncing your calendars through Google Calendar or publishing and subscribing to the same ICS file location on your local network.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue May 03, 2011 12:56 am

A beta of version 8.2.0 is now available. I believe this version will fix the problems you were seeing. If you'd like to try it, it can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=518
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Thu May 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Dan -
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you... I had a hard drive fail, then I went on vacation, and had to rebuild when I got back...so I never installed the beta. But I just installed the 8.2.0 release version this evening and sharing over the network seems to be working beautifully. I can enter, edit, and delete events on any of the five calendars from any of my three computers and the changes show up on the other two computers almost immediately. Thank you!!!
Eric

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Thu May 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Dan -
One follow-up question. With 8.1, I had the Access database on a NAS drive and I had my backup software scheduled to automatically back it up regularly. With 8.2, I don't know where the SQL Server database is. Can you let me know where it is so I can keep it backed up?
Thanks,
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 26, 2011 11:31 pm

But I just installed the 8.2.0 release version this evening and sharing over the network seems to be working beautifully. I can enter, edit, and delete events on any of the five calendars from any of my three computers and the changes show up on the other two computers almost immediately. Thank you!!!
I'm glad to hear it's working. Other people have reported similar success with calendar sharing in 8.2.0. Time for a happy dance. :o
With 8.2, I don't know where the SQL Server database is. Can you let me know where it is so I can keep it backed up?
The database file is stored under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.VUESOFT\MSSQL\DATA"
Dan Chartrand, Founder

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Tue May 31, 2011 10:12 am

Dan -
What's the secret to backing up the SQL Server files? Even with VueMinder closed on all computers, when I try to back up the Data directory I get an error saying the action can't be completed because the files are open.
Thanks,
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue May 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Eric, the SQL Server process is holding the database open. You'll need to pause or stop the service before the database can be copied. If you're automating the backup, you could use the following commands:

net stop MSSQL$VUESOFT
(you can backup the database now)
net start MSSQL$VUESOFT

These commands can be performed regardless of whether VueMinder Calendar is running. If it's running, you'll see it go into offline mode and then go back online after the service is restarted.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder