LAN Sync Problems

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MichaelDevlin

LAN Sync Problems

Post by MichaelDevlin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi, After trialling your software and having no problems we decided to purchase and now we are constantly having sync issues. I have the shared calendar setup on my PC with 3 other PC's linked, all are seeing calendar ok. Problem that has started to appear is the when adding an event it is not showing on other PC's. It doesn't seem to matter what PC I add the event to it is not updating on other users. I have tried unsharing and re sharing and still have this problem. Any ideas on what may have gone wrong?

** Have done some more testing and it seems to be an intermittent problem and doesn't occur every time.

Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: LAN Sync Problems

Post by VueSoft » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi MichaelDevlin, welcome to the forums. I apologize for the problems you're seeing. One thing to check would be if all computers are set to the same clock time, within a few seconds. Also, if you let VueMinder run for several days at a time, try exiting and restarting it a couple times a day. I've seen cases where the database connection somehow gets lost after running for a long enough amount of time, and unable to be reconnected without restarting VueMinder.

I'm currently working on fixing these problems, and will post a reply when the next version is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks Dan, I think the second suggestion may be the answer, my pc is often left running for days on end as I do a lot of work from home. Would I only need to restart VueMinder on the pc that is hosting the database or do all users need to restart frequently.
Thanks for your help.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 pm

To be safe, I'd restart VueMinder on all computers once or twice a day. I'm not able to consistently repeat the behavior (I've actually only seen it happen once, after running a few days), but when I did see it, I had to restart VueMinder on all computers to get it syncing properly again.

This is one of those head-scratcher problems, since the database connection is only opened while a sync is performed, and closed immediately afterwards, as recommended by Microsoft. For some reason, the program sometimes loses the ability to connect the database, but it seems to take a while before this problem starts happening.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:33 am

Just a progress update...

The next version will no longer use an Access database for sharing/syncing over a local network. I've learned from hard experience that Access is just not reliable enough. Not to mention all the problems with getting the shared folder permissions working and all the computers pointing to the same shared folder.

Instead, sharing will be performed through a SQL Server database. I've been testing for a couple days using the new SQL Server approach, and it has been rock solid (and way faster). Syncing has been working flawlessly, even after running non-stop for a couple days. It's sooooo much better than the previous Access database approach.

I'm currently wrapping up some other loose ends and figuring out how to best deploy this solution. I'll post an update when a beta version is available.

There's a boat load of other new features and improvements going into the next version as well. A preview will be added to the "What's New" section in the blog, probably later this week.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:41 am

That's fantastic news Dan, restarting 3 or 4 times a day seem to be working until today when an appointment was entered by a user sharing my calendar that didn't sync through to my PC, hoping for a fix soon as the unreliability is very concerning with us being in Real Estate and a majority of our appointments are out of the office and leaving a client waiting is not good for business. Thanks again.

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:10 am

Hi Dan, any news on next version? I'm not sure what has gone wrong with my install but problem seems to be getting worse, 80% of new appointments added are not updating on all PC's, current product has become unusable for our company. Would uninstalling and reinstalling on all PC's make a difference you think?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi Michael, I'm currently finishing up the new setup/installation program for VueMinder Server. I'll need to spend a few days doing internal testing and then it will be ready for beta. I expect an official release should happen within a few weeks.

There were some additional improvements I was hoping to add, such as syncing of tasks and contact data over a local network, but I'll put those on hold so I can make the next release available sooner. I'll let you know when an update is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Sun May 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks Dan, our current installation has become very unreliable and not sure what to do, if you would like we would be happy to beta test in real life office scenario using LAN sync.
Cheers
Michael

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun May 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Michael, I'll let you know when the beta is available. I've made good progress on the SQL Server installation. I'm currently working on the scripts for adding a VueMinder database to the installed server. I'm also working on fixes for offline operation, since the pre-beta version currently freezes if the SQL server goes offline or the connection to the server is lost.

I should be done soon, although there are definitely some technical hurdles. I'll let you know as soon as I have something I think is ready for testing. I appreciate your patience as I work on the corrections.
Dan Chartrand, Founder