What is the BEST way to print meaningful calendars

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dg9879

What is the BEST way to print meaningful calendars

Post by dg9879 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:19 pm

I have too many reminders and things for them to be included in a printed monthly calendar. I only want important commitments to show up like an appointment to be somewhere for a specified time.

Is it better to enter all items as events that I want to go on the calendar and print the monthly calendar by filtering out all tasks?

Or is it better to have priorities on each item entered, whether it be an event or a task, and then print the calendar by filtering out everything that is not high priority? - making sure of course that all my appointments I want to appear on the calendar are high priority.

I guess both ways would want but I'm looking for opinions as I'm new to Vueminder.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: What is the BEST way to print meaningful calendars

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:17 am

Hi dg9879. In my opinion, the best way to create a focused calendar without overloading yourself with many lower priority items would be to use the Priority field. You can define up to 10 priorities, in case the High, Medium, and Low priorities are not sufficient.

Each time an event or task is defined, use the Priority field to give it a weighting in relation to your other events and tasks. You can also adjust the priority after the fact, by right-clicking the event or task in the calendar and selecting from the "Prioritize" submenu.

To filter out all the lower priority items, switch to the Priorities tab and uncheck the priorities you don't want to see. You'll still receive reminders for items that are filtered, but they won't clutter up the window.

You can also use the priority color coding to help visually distinguish which items are high priority. I'd suggest some type of color gradient from low to high. For example, the lowest priority could be green and the highest red. Priority colors can be assigned via the Priorities command on the Tools menu.

In the end, it all depends on personal preference. If you find a different way of using VueMinder that helps you better focus your energies, I'd say go with it. What I've described above is how I personally use the software. I've designed enough flexibility into VueMinder that I'm sure you could find several other methods of creating meaningful calendars. If you find a different approach that you like, please post it on the forum, because I'm sure there are a lot of other people with the same question. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dg9879

Post by dg9879 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks for your answer.

Please tell me if this idea would work.

I create my own custom priority called calendar and everything I want to appear on a calendar I print out is allocated that priority. That way I can create calendar entries how I want them without being concerned about their priority ie I can have some high priority entries left off the calendar and medium priority entries on if need be.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but just interested in any comments/feedback.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi dg9879, yes that idea would certainly work. VueMinder supports any number of calendars, and they'll display as layers in the calendar view. The same type of filtering is available, using the check boxes. You can also filter both certain calendars and certain priorities, to further fine-tune what is visible on the screen or when printing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA