VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 06, 2011 12:35 am

Hi BobJ, the problem Darwin is reporting is not something I'm seeing on any of my Windows 7 computers when running 8.2.0. One computer has been running VueMinder (and the server) continuously for 4 days, and memory is currently at 133 MB with 0% CPU. My other Windows 7 test computers show similar performance. I have a mix of all versions of Windows 7, on a variety of low-end and high-end computers (both 32-bit and 64-bit). Also, the software is compiled on a Windows 7 x64 computer.

I'm not sure why some computers behave differently than others, but in this case, I don't believe the version Windows has anything to do with it. There are so many possible variables in how operating environments can differ that it's really hard to determine what causes higher memory/CPU use on some computers but not others.

Also, because VueMinder is a .NET application, the memory numbers reported in Task Manager are very misleading. Windows does a lot of memory caching of .NET applications to provide better performance. Even a very simple .NET "Hello world" application that does nothing but display a message box, will take 20 MB or more of memory, as reported by Task Manager. It's not actually using all that memory (an really, when you have 8 GB of RAM, what's 20 MB?).

I did find a bug that was causing slower performance (and higher CPU use) when calendars are shared over a local network. This has been fixed in the latest beta version, linked in the first post. I'm not sure if that's what Darwin was seeing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 06, 2011 12:41 am

A new version of the beta is available. The download link in the first post has been updated. The following items have been addressed in this latest version:
  • Improved performance when calendar sharing over a local network is enabled. The program should be much more responsive now.
  • Improved saving to HTML, to generate a default 'index.html' page.
  • Corrected Google Calendar sync, so events created in Google Calendar will properly sync to VueMinder.
  • Corrected problems printing when word-wrap is enabled, where some event blocks would not be sized large enough for all text to fit.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi Dan,

So far Beta 2 has fixed the issues I was having as stated earlier. I can now see server on all PC's as well.
The only problem I am having is that the PC's that the server isn't on are showing Server Offline bottom right hand corner of VueMinder. When I mouse over this it says "The VueMinder server timed out after 15 seconds. This may be due to the server being offline or inaccessible. Click here to attempt to reconnect to the server.
Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Thanks
Michael

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 07, 2011 1:10 am

Hi Michael, does this offline error happen after running for a while, or right away? Basically, what is happening is that VueMinder is timing out when trying to connect to the server. If it can't connect after 15 seconds (which usually means there's a problem), then the software will go into "offline" mode. The thought is that you might be using a laptop and travelling with it. You'll still have access to an offline snap-shot of the shared calendar, but the notification in the corner is informing you that you're in offline mode and you won't see any new shared events until the connection is restored.

Obviously, this is not what's happening in your case. My only guess is that there must still be something on your network that is blocking communication. Have you double-checked the firewall settings on the server to ensure ALL of the following aren't blocked:
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.VUESOFT\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
  • TCP ports 1434 and 1451
Also, have you double-checked the SQL Server Browser service is running on the server? Sometimes the service will install as disabled instead of having automatic startup (if SQL Server is installed outside of the VueMinder Server installation).
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Sat May 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Dan, offline is happening right away, server shows in sharing options but when trying to add the shared calendar there are no calendars to choose from so unable to even add the shared calendar.
I have checked firewall settings and there OK.
In the SQL Server Configuration Manager SQL Server Browser and SQL Server (VueSoft) are running with start mode Automatic while SQL Server Agent (VueSoft) is stopped and has a start mode of Other (Boot, System, Disabled or Unknown). Not sure if that is the way it should be but if I try to change the start mode to Automatic I get WMI Provider Error saying The remote procedure call failed [0x800706be]
Thanks

skmiller94

Post by skmiller94 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:17 pm

I too am having the Server immediately show as Offline. On the PC where the server is installed (running WinXP), I find two messages in the Event Viewer:

SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c, state 14 while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. Reason: AcceptSecurityContext failed. The Windows error code indicates the cause of failure. [CLIENT: 192.168.98.35].

and

Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication. [CLIENT: 192.168.98.35]

I'm more of a Unix and MySQL admin type, and gave up trying to understand Microsoft's security a long time ago. I did try looking these up online, but nothing they had was either pertinent or made sense to me!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun May 08, 2011 12:34 am

Hi skmiller94, thanks for the information. It sounds like you might be seeing the same problem Michael is seeing. Currently, connections to the server are handled using integrated Windows Authentication. Apparently, this is not as reliable a method of connecting as I had hoped. I'm switching this to use a SQL Server login, instead of relying on Windows to handle the authentication. I think this will fix the connection problems. A new VueMinder Server beta should be available in a day or two.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 11, 2011 11:32 pm

New beta versions of both VueMinder Calendar Pro and VueMinder Server are now available. See the first post for the download links.

Here's a list of what's new/updated in the latest Pro beta:
  • Added an option to the Email Settings for using a web-based email service. This can be useful for people that are unable to get the SMTP settings to work or that use incompatible email providers.
  • Added a maximize/restore button to the upper-right corner of the desktop calendar. It will now be possible to have the desktop calendar fill the entire desktop.
  • Improved all drop-down calendar date pickers to show item colors on dates and use the first day of week specified in the Calendar Options, as well as week numbers. Also changed the layout to show an easily navigable 3 months in the drop-down.
  • Improved the Meeting Response window to have an option for not emailing a response when the meeting is accepted or declined.
  • Improved the Calendar Options to include an option for hiding upcoming events from the Desktop Calendar when those events have already been marked as completed.
  • Corrected calendar sharing to connect to the server using a SQL login instead of Windows Authentication, which seems to be unreliable on some networks.
  • Corrected error messages sometimes seen when importing ICS files or subscribing to ICS feeds.
  • Corrected category, priority, and location background colors to be transparent instead of white, when the transparent option has been selected in the appearance editor.
  • Corrected the color button in the various appearance editors to show green hash marks when the transparent option has been selected.
  • Corrected appearance theme problems in the Desktop Calendar when using a non-default theme.
  • Corrected the lists in the Add Public Calendars, Check for Updates, and Add Google Calendar windows to not have a right-click menu, since the menu doesn't do anything.
VueMinder Server Beta 3 changes the server to support connecting via a SQL login, instead of Windows Authentication. If you previously installed VueMinder Server, go to the Control Panel and uninstall Microsoft SQL server. After doing this, run the latest VueMinder Server installation again. If you update to the latest Pro beta but don't update to the latest VueMinder Server, calendar sharing won't work. After reinstalling the latest server, you'll need to re-enable sharing of calendars in VueMinder.

Please let me know if you try the beta and find any problems.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

skmiller94

Post by skmiller94 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 am

I tried installing the Beta3 Server with no luck. After installing it and installing the Beta 3 client on my PC, I was still unable to connect. Checking the event log on the server, I saw an error rejecting the connection because the SQL Server was configured for Windows Authentication. So, I figured something did not get cleaned out/replaced properly during the install.

At this point, I decided to do a clean install. I removed everything I could find with the name SQL Server in it. I rebooted, then reran the Beta3 Server install. It claimed to install the SQL Server 2008 R2 successfully but gave me a message that it could not find the VueSoft instance (something to that effect). Among the options offered was a reboot, which I did. Still no luck.

I tried running the Beta3 install again. It again went through the entire SQL Server installation successfully, but gave the same error message about VueSoft.

Under services, I only see SQL Server Browser (not started) and SQL Server VSS Writer (which is started). Under the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel I see Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, plus the Native Client, Setup (English), Setup Support Files, Browser and VSS Writer as installed.

In the Event Viewer, there is a message from SQL Browser posted at the time I booted up:
"The SQLBrowser is closing. There are no instances of SQL Server or SQL Server Analysis Services."

It appears the VueSoft database is not getting properly installed. Unfortunately, I don't think the Express version gives me the tools I need (nor the smarts) to dig deeper.

BTW - server is running Win XP SP3.

Steve

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Thu May 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi Dan & Steve,

I too had a problem installing the beta3 server but after uninstalling beta1 server beta3 installed without any problems. Connection to the server has been successful from all PC's. I have had a few minor issues with previously entered events such as them reappearing after they had been dismissed also had previously entered recurring events duplicate themselves after install. I have had no issues thus far with any events entered post beta3 install.

Michael