VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
skmiller94

Re: VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta

Post by skmiller94 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Well, I think I have one clue, but not a reason nor solution.

I tried installing again this evening. The same VueMinder Server Setup window appeared telling me the DQL Server 2008 R2 Express installation was closed but a VueMinder instance ...could not be found. One troubleshooting tip mentioned executables sqlserver.exe and sqlbrowser.exe

I searched the entire drive but no sqlserver.exe was found. For some reason, it does not appear that the install is completing successfully after all, but no messages are indicating any error.

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Fri May 13, 2011 12:05 am

Hi Dan,

I have just noticed that Connection to the Server has gone offline on other PC's that are sharing my calendar.
After reconnecting these PC's it has been about 30 mins and events entered on these PC's have not synced with mine or any others so we have 4 calendars all out of sync. Tried closing VueMinder and reopening with no luck.
Lan sync still seems to be unreliable at this stage.

Michael

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 13, 2011 1:08 am

Steve, thanks for the information. It sounds like something is preventing the installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2. I'll see if I can improve the VueMinder Server installation to report error conditions. In the meantime, could you try installing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 directly? It can be downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/

Also make sure you have Microsoft Installer 4.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

When installing, enter the instance name VUESOFT. Also be sure to set the SQL Browser service startup type to “Automatic”. It defaults to being disabled. I believe those are the only things you’ll need to enter that are different than the defaults. After installing SQL Server, download and run the VueMinder Server installer again. As long as you named the instance VUESOFT during the SQL Server installation, VueMinder Server should detect a compatible server and install the VueMinder database.

If you get any errors during the manual installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, that might explain why the initial VueMinder Server installation failed. Please let me know if errors are encountered. I might be able to determine what is causing the errors and improve the VueMinder Server installation to handle those conditions.

Note, your firewall will need to allow the following items:
• C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
• C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.VUESOFT\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
• TCP ports 1434 and 1451

Michael, regarding the offline operation, in the current beta any events created or edited while offline will not sync back to the server unless they are modified again (while online). I've made a correction for this, which will be in the next beta, so any changes made while offline will properly sync as soon as a connection is re-established.

Did you take the server down, or do you have any idea why all your computers were disconnected? VueMinder will go into offline mode if unable to connect to the server after 7 seconds. I might need to increase this timeout value. If you're streaming video or doing other things on your network that use a lot of bandwidth or processing time on your server, then it's possible the 7 second timeout could get hit. I've only seen this happen once on my test network, using a low-end computer for the server. In any case, this should be better in the next beta. Gotta keep hope alive! ;)
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Fri May 13, 2011 1:48 am

Hi Dan,

No Idea what may of caused it to go offline, we do also have real estate software that is synced over LAN so maybe data was being written causing it to timeout.
Would it be a possibility to have VueMinder automatically try to reconnect to the server every minute or two when it goes into offline mode.
Any idea when we can expect to see the next beta?

Cheers
Michael

skmiller94

Post by skmiller94 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:46 am

Dan,
I tried your suggestion (downloading the SQL Server Express from MS) and I found the problem. The stupid thing failed because PowerShell was not installed. Sheesh! I downloaded and installed the latest PowerShell for XP and the installation went fine.

So - just to see, I uninstalled what I had just installed and ran the VueMinder Server BETA3 installation. Worked without a hitch, My PC is finally connected to the server.

I know PowerShell came with my Win7 installation. Not sure if it came with Vista (I avoided that release) but it is not a default on XP. I don't know if your installation can check for it and warn, but that seemed to be my issue. You knew it would be something small.

Steve

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info, Steve. I'll add this to the list of prerequisites for the VueMinder Server installation. I'm planning on improving the installation so it will detect if necessary components are missing.

Michael, I've corrected the next version so if the connection is lost for some reason, but the server is still online, the connection will be automagically restored. Changes made while in the offline mode will also properly sync after the connection is restored.

A new beta should be available within the next day. There are still a few odds and ends that I need to wrap up, but the next beta will probably be the last one before the release is made official.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 14, 2011 12:52 am

VueMinder Calendar Pro 8.2.0 Beta 4 is now available. It can be downloaded here:
VueMinder_Pro_Setup_8.2.0_BETA4.exe

The following improvements and corrections have been added since the previous beta:
  • Added an optional "Have replies sent to" field in the Meeting tab of the Event Editor. This field can be used to create meetings on behalf of someone else, and responses will be sent to that person instead.
  • Improved offline operation mode when sharing calendars over local network. The server will be periodically checked to determine if the connection can be restored, rather than requiring the user to click a button to reconnect.
  • Improved the date picker drop-down calendar to show popup balloons when hovering over dates. This can help when trying to pick an open date and time for a new event.
  • Improved printing to recall the previous selected paper size and orientation, and use those settings as the default.
  • Improved printing to recall the previously specified date range, and use that as the default.
  • Improved the status bar in the desktop calendar to include additional information, such as the active calendar name and when it was last synced.
  • Corrected offline operation when syncing calendars over a local network. Changes made while offline will be synced to the server as soon as a connection is restored.
  • Corrected a number of problems related to sorting and grouping of rows in the Event, Task, and Note lists.
  • Corrected syncing of events that have linked files. The file links will now be available on other computers, as long as the links reference a server path that is available on other computers, not a local hard-drive path.
  • Corrected deletion of multiple occurrences belonging to a recurring series. The entire series was being deleted instead of the selected occurrences.
  • Corrected importing of tasks from CSV files to show the field mappings in the Import window.
  • Corrected creation of tasks that don't have due dates. The tasks would sometimes be associated with a date regardless of what was selected in the Task Editor.
  • Corrected the print preview of the List layout when "A range of dates" has been selected. The preview was not always refreshing properly for selected date ranges.
  • Corrected printing of the Weekly layout to use the calendar overlay and other settings of the Week view, instead of the Day view.
  • Corrected the Calendar Properties window to not allow calendars to be synced with Outlook and also synced 1-way from Google Calendar to VueMinder. That combination is invalid, since changes made in Outlook won't properly sync back to Google Calendar if the sync direction is only 1-way.
  • Other minor corrections.
Unless problems are found, this will probably be the last Pro version beta for 8.2. This can be considered a release-candidate beta.

One more beta of VueMinder Server is planned, including improvements for error reporting and prerequisite checking.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MichaelDevlin

Post by MichaelDevlin » Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 am

Hi Dan,

I'm still having a few issues. Events are not updating on all users, for instance I created an event for 9:00am and it showed on my PC and 1 other users. The problem is only happening every now and then so not sure why. Also I deleted an event from a users PC and it didn't delete from my PC or user 2's PC. User 2 deleted it on theres and it deleted on mine also but then after about 30 seconds or so it reappeared on all 3 PC's.
All 3 PC's are frequently having Not Responding problems as well.
Thanks
Michael

BobJanice

Post by BobJanice » Mon May 16, 2011 8:44 am

Dan,

I'm having frequent "Not Responding" problems as well - just like Michael. I am running the version 4 beta on two machines -- both have Windows 7 with one having 64bit and the other 32 bit. Didn't have any issues when I was using the last "official" release (8.1.3). Just to let you know . . . .

BobJanice

Post by BobJanice » Mon May 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Dan,

I did some further investigating on my "Not Responding" problem with the beta 4. . . .

I had two Google Calendars synced - my own personal one and the "US Holidays" one. I noticed that when the Calendar Pro program was not responding it appeared as if it was "stuck" when synchronizing with the Google calendars. I deleted both calendars from Calendar Pro and then added my personal one back.

With just my personal Google calendar synced the program was responsive and I had no further problems with it. When I added the second Google calendar (US Holidays) my "not responding" problems reoccurred.

Maybe there is some small bug in the Google Calendar sync routines ?? I'll let you know if I come across anything else.

Bob