Suggested change to implementing ongong recurrences

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dg9879

Suggested change to implementing ongong recurrences

Post by dg9879 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:19 pm

I have many of these regular reminders with no end date and my Vueminder is very slow, with the blue circle (equivalent of hour glass) on Windows 7 often coming up and sometimes the program just gets stuck and has to be shut down. My pc is not that modern but has a dual core processor and is able run all the latest games with 8GB RAM and 64 bit Windows 7 running.

When I searched the forums someone with a similar problem was advised to ensure all such events have an end date one year from now and it seemed to work for him.

I will do the same but it is a fair amount of boring work for me.

Why not make it so there is a maximum number of recurrences that can be added in for each event eg 365 would make a maximum of 1 year of daily reminders or 7 years of weekly reminders. If someone wanted to have a recurring event with no end date they can still enter it that way but the program still only enters in the maximum number. The only difference would be if they say it has no end date, then there is an auto reminder in the calendar program (just like any other reminder) asking if they want to now have another year or whatever it is of the same regular reminder. Perhaps they could just tick the box for yes and have it automatically recur the event for the same length of time or just tick "no" to stop it. Perhaps when Vueminder is installed it can automatically determine the appropriate maximum number of recurrences depending on how powerful the computer is.

This would prevent the tedium of having to manually change all these ongoing recurrences to be limited to one year and manually enter in a reminder to re-input them again one year later.

I also notice VueMinder is prettier than other calendar programs and takes longer to boot up. How much speed is sacrificed for an attractive interface? Personally I value function over graphical quality and would rather a more basic looking calendar program with all the same features and faster speed.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Suggested change to implementing ongong recurrences

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi dg9879, thanks for the feedback. Have you tried the 8.2 beta? The performance problems you're seeing with recurring events should be fixed in 8.2.

As for the startup time, this is due to the software being built on top of the Microsoft .NET Framework. Once everything loads, it should be just as fast as anything else. I think you'll find version 8.2 is a big improvement, since it fixes the performance bottlenecks.

Not only will it be faster, but I've also improved some of the visuals to make it even better looking. An attractive user interface and fast performance should not be mutually exclusive.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dg9879

Post by dg9879 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks. Sounds great. But I'm a bit nervous about betas. I thought by definition they are not fully tested and could cause problems? Does it load straight over the top of the current version with all settings intact? When will the final version be available? Does this mean I shouldn't bother changing all my recurrences from indefinite to 12 months as planned?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 21, 2011 1:08 am

The beta is very stable and is basically the release-candidate for the official 8.2 version. There might be a few tweaks left to make, but at this point only very minor bugs are being found. The software has been in closed beta since the middle of April and public beta since the beginning of May. Several hundred people have participated in the beta testing, which has been the most thorough pre-launch testing to date and is nearly completed.

The official version will probably be available early next week. If you'd like to try the beta, it will install on top of the current 8.1.3 version and preserve all your existing data. Just make sure to fully exit the current version (via the Exit command on the task tray icon), before installing the beta.

Many other improvements have gone into 8.2. The following article provides an overview of some of the bigger improvements:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA