Home server is inaccessible....

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
rjm01

Home server is inaccessible....

Post by rjm01 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I get this message when I try to share a calender. How do I get the server back on line?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Home server is inaccessible....

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi rmj01, are you seeing the "Server is Offline" notification at the bottom-right of the VueMinder window? If so, this indicates a communication problem with the computer where SQL Server is running.

The first thing to check is whether the processes named "SQL Server (VUESOFT)" and "SQL Server Browser" are running on your server. You can check by opening SQL Server Configuration Manager and looking at the SQL Server Services. Also make sure the start mode on these services is set to "Automatic".

If the services are running, then it could be a firewall issue. Please see the Troubleshooting section on the following page:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

rjm01

Post by rjm01 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Fixed it - reinstalled Vueminder server

John

rjm01

Post by rjm01 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:33 pm

But now the lap top is saying the server is offline when it is running on the other computer?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Are the "SQL Server (VUESOFT)" and "SQL Server Browser" services running on the server?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

TopDog

Post by TopDog » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:08 pm

I have the same exact problem. Both the "SQL Server (VUESOFT)" and "SQL Server Browser" services are running on the server. However the "SQL Server Agent (VUESOFT)" is stopped and all the options to start, restart etc are grayed out.

Its not a firewall issue as both SQL Server and SQL Browser are allowed.

Any ideas? It was working until I installed a new router. Everything else is working on the Network.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi TopDog, try uninstalling all Microsoft SQL Server items in the Control Panel, and then re-install VueMinder Server. I think that will fix it. After re-installing the server, you'll need to re-enable calendar sharing. You won't lose any data because a copy of the calendar is stored locally on each computer.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if reinstalling VueMinder Server doesn't fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

TopDog

Post by TopDog » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:38 am

Sorry that did nothing, its exactly the same. Any other ideas? I really need to share these two calendars and I don't want to use Google calendar. I could always save the database file to a flash drive and then copy it to the other computer, would that work? What is the file I would have to copy?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi TopDog, please try this:

1. On the Start menu, go to All Programs -> Accessories. If using Windows 7 or Vista, right-click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator” from the popup menu. Otherwise just click the shortcut to open the command line.

2. At the command line, type: net start MSSQL$VUESOFT

3. If an error occurs, please send the latest SQL error log to support@vueminder.com. The error log is located under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.VUESOFT\MSSQL\LOG".

Hopefully the error log will provide me some additional clues.

If you're just looking for a way to keep 2 computers in sync, you could use the low tech approach of publishing and subscribing to the same ICS file on your local network. This can be accomplished via the Publish and Subscribe tabs of the Calendar Properties window.

Another even simpler option would be to transfer data using the Portable version. See the link below for more detail:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... rdata.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder

rjm01

Post by rjm01 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Tries the net start - reply was service is already started. The problem is how to get the remote computer to hook to the server. This was not a problem with 8.1.3, but is with 8.3 beta.