VueMinder has stopped working after Windows 7 SP 1 update

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Jokeresse

VueMinder has stopped working after Windows 7 SP 1 update

Post by Jokeresse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Hello,

My VueMinder Pro has completely stopped working after the Windows 7 SP1 update. Actually this update affected some of my other programs, too and I will write to Microsoft about it. But in the meantime, I restored my computer to a time when SP 1 was not installed, hoping that I would get my calendar back, and it has not worked. I downloaded the update on this site, and it did not work. My computer will simply give me a "VueMinder has stopped working" message and that is all.

Do you have any remedies for this? :cry:

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder has stopped working after Windows 7 SP 1 updat

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:34 am

Hi Jokeresse, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling VueMinder? This won't affect any of your data. My guess is the SP1 update messed up some of the required system files. Reinstalling VueMinder might fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Jokeresse

Post by Jokeresse » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Actually I think I tried that when SP1 was still there. Now that I have removed it (restored the computer to an earlier date), I may try again. But eventually I would want to have them both. But let's see for now. I will go ahead and do it now and will give feedback here. Thanks.

Jokeresse

Post by Jokeresse » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:03 pm

No, I have removed it, re-installed it and it is still giving the same message. I wonder which file got messed up. I may try restoring even to an earlier date and see how that will work. I will post the outcome here.

Jokeresse

Post by Jokeresse » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:21 pm

No luck. I restored the computer to back before the first SP1 update. But something has definitely changed in the computer that will not be fixed with the restoring. I feel pretty stuck. Please let me know if you have any advice on what I should do, I am thinking about formatting the computer altogether.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Jokeresse, maybe the data became corrupted at some point. It might have been coincidental with the installation of SP1.

You can use the utility linked below to reset the data:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

After resetting the data and restarting VueMinder, use the “Restore Data” command on the File menu to restore from a backup. Note, I’m assuming you didn’t disable the automatic backup feature, which generates a backup of the data every 8 hours (by default). If you don’t see any backup checkpoints, search your hard drive for files having a “vbackup” extension, or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window. You should see some backup files in that folder, unless you changed the backup settings.

Please let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Jokeresse

Post by Jokeresse » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 pm

Hello,

Sorry about the delay; I used the reset ".exe" file and tried to run VueMinder but still could not start it. I was about to follow your instructions but could not even get to that point. :( Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Sorry Jokeresse, I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried repairing the Windows installation?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Jokeresse

Post by Jokeresse » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:38 pm

Do you mean Windows itself or the installation file for VueMinder? :? I do not know what to do either, hasn't anybody else experienced such problems?

Jokeresse

Post by Jokeresse » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Update:

I have been surfing Windows 7-related technical forums and looks like many people out there have been having problems after they have installed SP1, with various types of software. I will follow through within these forums whenever I have time and once I have a solution (hopefully I will!), I will make sure to put it up here. In the meantime, it is unfortunate that I will not be able to use my VueMinder while I could get free updates.