VueMinder Server - need upgrade to 1.0.2?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
blueguitarbob

VueMinder Server - need upgrade to 1.0.2?

Post by blueguitarbob » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Dan,

I noticed that VueMinder Server is up to version 1.0.2 on the download page. I installed Server with the 8.2 release, which was 1.0.1 (I think). Do I need to upgrade the Server whenever a new client release comes out? Can I just run the 1.0.2 installer on my Server machine, without losing any of my data?

Also, how can I tell which Server version I am running?

Thanks,

--Robert

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder Server - need upgrade to 1.0.2?

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Robert, there's no need to upgrade to 1.0.2.

The VueMinder Server setup is a bit different than a typical installation, since it's simply a wrapper of the Microsoft SQL Server installation. After installing SQL Server it adds a VueMinder database and (attempts to) adjust the server settings to allow other computers to connect. There's no way to tell which version of VueMinder Server was previously installed.

The only time an update would be needed is if the database format is changed, which hasn't happened yet (and is something I'm trying to avoid - the current database format has been future-proofed for upcoming improvements). The release notes will indicate if/when a corresponding update of VueMinder Server is needed.

In the meantime, I'd leave your current installation alone...if it's not broken, don't fix it!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA