Sync problem with Google

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
twinsen2

Sync problem with Google

Post by twinsen2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 am

Hi,

first of all, sorry for my english, that is not perfect ;-)

I am new to this forum, because i was planning to buy VueMinder Calendar. Right now i am testing the trial pro version (8.3.1). I am sorry to say, that i found some bugs, that prevented me from getting the full version.

The calendar could be the best one on the market, if you could fix these bugs. The sync with Google is absolutely important for me, because i manage all my events with Google and i want to be able to have access from my computer (client VueMinder) and from my android device (Samsung Galaxy S2).

Here the bugs, that i found:

1. Sync from Google --> VueMinder:
- Automatic does not work, i have always to sync a second time manually to see the changed or new events
- Reminder is not synced correct. I selected "0 minutes before event" in Google, but VueMinder shows always 15 mins.

2. Sync VueMinder --> Google
- After first syn, the event is shown in Google, BUT no reminder at all
- after the second manually sync the reminder is also shown in Google

3. The event list is not refreshed all the time correctly

No bug, but an idea for improvement:
- Possibility to group the events in the event list by start DAY only and not by day and time
(i would prefer one group per day, even if i have many events with different start time)
- Label the groups for today and tomorrow not by date/time, but by "Today" or "Tomorrow"

I hope, you can fix this soon, so i will be a new customer :-)
Greetings
U.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sync problem with Google

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Hi twinsen2, welcome to the forums.
Automatic does not work, i have always to sync a second time manually to see the changed or new events
It's possible you're not able to access the NIST time server that VueMinder is using to determine timestamps. These timestamps are essential to the proper syncing with Google Calendar. Can you try pinging "time-a.nist.gov"?

If you're not sure how to ping a server, go to the command prompt and type "ping time-a.nist.gov". This is a NIST internet time server located in the United States. I was under the assumption that people in other countries could access this server as well, but maybe your country is blocked.

If it doesn't ping, go to the Calendar Options (via the Options menu). At the bottom of the window there's a drop-down list of some other time servers. Try pinging any of the servers listed, to see if you can access those servers. If you find one that you can ping, select that server in the Options window and then click OK. This should allow automatic Google Calendar syncing to work properly.

If none of the time servers can be reached, you can work around the problem by making sure your computer's clock is set to the correct time, within a couple seconds. There are many websites that give you the exact time. You might also be able to configure Windows to sync its clock with an internet time server.
Reminder is not synced correct. I selected "0 minutes before event" in Google, but VueMinder shows always 15 mins.
Is the "Include reminders" box checked in the Google Calendar tab of the Calendar Properties window? It defaults to being unchecked, which might explain why your reminders aren't syncing properly.
The event list is not refreshed all the time correctly
Version 8.3.1 should have fixed the cases where the Event List wasn't properly refreshing. It's possible I missed a case. Can you provide more detail about the conditions where you're not seeing it refresh? Is this after syncing with Google Calendar? Also, you can command the list to refresh by clicking the "List" button in the upper-right corner and then clicking "Refresh List" from the drop-down menu.
No bug, but an idea for improvement:
- Possibility to group the events in the event list by start DAY only and not by day and time
(i would prefer one group per day, even if i have many events with different start time)
- Label the groups for today and tomorrow not by date/time, but by "Today" or "Tomorrow"
Thank you for the suggestions. I've added these to my to-do list and will let you know when these improvements are available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

twinsen2

Post by twinsen2 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:08 am

Hi Dan,

thank you for the really fast reply.

I tried your hint with the time server. Could NOT ping "time-a.nist.gov", but "time.nist.gov" did work, so i selected this one in VueMinder and also in the clock settings of Win 7 64bit (by the way, i am from germany).

After that i tried the syncing with Google again. Still same problem:

- Events from VueMinder are shown in Google after automatic syn, but the reminder of the event is only shown after second sync (manually with F5).
- Events from Google are not shown in VueMinder after automatic sync, but after second sync (manually with F5).
- The reminder time of "0 minutes" from Google is still shown as "15 minutes" in VueMinder, although "Include reminders" is set.

Any other ideas?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi twinsen2, I've found what was causing this behavior. A correction has been made for the next version. I'll post a reply when it's available to download.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:26 pm

This problem has been fixed for the next version (8.4.0). If you'd like an early look, a beta is available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=606

When an event is added to Google Calendar, it will automatically sync to VueMinder. If you're watching the status bar, you might see the calendar sync twice. The event won't appear on the first sync but will automatically appear on the second one, within about 20 seconds.

Please let me know if you try the beta but still see the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

twinsen2

Post by twinsen2 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:39 am

Hi,

i intalled 8.4.0 Beta1 and checked the bugs, i reported before:
- Automatic does not work, i have always to sync a second time manually to see the changed or new events
- Reminder is not synced correct. I selected "0 minutes before event" in Google, but VueMinder shows always 15 mins.
First part works now, BUT
the new events always get a reminder "15 minutes before event", although i selected "0 minutes before event" in Google calendar.
2. Sync VueMinder --> Google
- After first sync, the event is shown in Google, BUT no reminder at all
- after the second manually sync the reminder is also shown in Google
This problem still exist (the event is created in Google calendar, but still no reminder in Google) :-(

Great work you are doing and i hope you can fix this soon, maybe for the next BETA :-)

twinsen2

Post by twinsen2 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:53 am

Additional hint:

If i choose "1 minute before event" for the reminder in Google, then it works !! So there seems to be a problem with "0 minutes" maybe.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 am

Hi twinsen2, thanks for the information. I was able to find what was causing this and a correction has been made for the next version. It didn't make it into beta 2, but it will be in the official 8.4 (or the next beta, if I decide another one is needed).
Dan Chartrand, Founder

twinsen2

Post by twinsen2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:11 am

Hi,

did you fix all the open bugs, that i mentioned in my post from "Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:39 am"?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi twinsen2, I believe the bugs you mentioned have been solved in 8.4. Please let me know if you encounter any other problems. An official release will probably be coming out within a couple days.
Dan Chartrand, Founder